Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

4 MONTH OLD SLEEPING ON TUMMY???? (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:21 PM
  • 13 Replies

My Son has started rolling over in his sleep and winding up on his belly, should i be turning him back over on his back or just let him sleep?  He has really good head control and can move it very well.  The only thing is he can't quite figure out how to roll from stomach to back.  I am a first time mom and i am just concerned with the whole SIDS thing.  I leave him on his belly while i am up but when i go to bed i place him on his back and when i go in to check on him through out the night he is on his belly and i flip him again.  Just a concerned mom i guess, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkiJ86
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:22 PM

My son would do the same thing and I would let him stay like that.

Mia055
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:26 PM

my son has been sleepin on his tummy since he was a month old and has been sleepin like that ever since...he's pretty strong he started holdin his head up at 2 1/2 or 3 wks...i never had any problems...he wont sleep through the night any other way

weenerh
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:33 PM

My 5 month old has  been sleeping on her belly since she was 6 weeks.  She started rolling over early and she sleeps best in that position.  During the day I let her and check on her constantly but at night, for some reason she doesn't turn over.  There's been a few times and I just roll her back over.  I swaddle her with a thick blanket so I don't think she can get over.  I've even used the wedgies???  Don't know if that's what they are called and I've even used a thick blanket next to her to stop her with no luck.  Sorry, not much help. 

JH77
by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 11:35 PM

our son started sleeping on his tummy by four months.  We would watch him at first (he was wrapped up until 6 months) and he would lift up his head and place it back down to turn his head.  he was obviously ready for tummy time.  the first few weeks, no way would we let him sleep on his tummy, but like the previous post he was holding his head early on. 

Bullard_mom
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I think the general rule of thumb for me is, if they put themselves like that consistantly, then its ok to leave them that way. You shouldnt have them like that if they dont choose to be like that..but even though they cant roll to their back yet, they can move their head around enough to be able to breathe and stuff. So I say no worries.

champaigne4276
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM

Like my moms tell me, " You slept on your stomach (1970's) so what is the difference now?" . My daughter has also been sleeping on her belly since she was 1 month old.  She won't sleep any other way.

Quoting Mia055:

my son has been sleepin on his tummy since he was a month old and has been sleepin like that ever since...he's pretty strong he started holdin his head up at 2 1/2 or 3 wks...i never had any problems...he wont sleep through the night any other way

MyTwoAngels0608
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Remember, all babies used to be placed on their bellies instead of their backs.  Your LO should be fine.  My daugher prefers her tummy and my son prefers his back.  As long as your son can hold his head up by himself he should be fine.  Just be sure that there aren't stuffed animals or extra blankets in the crib.

Andrea (27), DH (29), DD (2), DS (born 6/23/08). Two furbabies Sasha (English Bulldog) and Toby (Mini-Dachshund)
adair87
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM

He's been doing it for awhile and there have been no problems, and he has good head control. I say keep watching him while you are awake, and at night let him go. My daughter slept on her belly alot and shes still alive. (pretty sure its not possible for her to die though with everything shes been through).

summertime247
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 12:51 PM

My baby basically slept on his tummy from birth, because he wouldnt sleep any other way. We had a monitor under the crib matress, that monitored his breathing- so that made me peaceful about it, when he wasnt in bed with me anyways. an alarm sounded if he wasnt breathing (we tested it by putting a text book in the crib that weighed about 9 pounds- after 10 seconds the alarm sounded- pretty cool).

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM

If he's flipping to his tummy by himself, there is nothing you can do (or should do).  Just leave him.  You can't run in his room every 10 minutes to flip him back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)