Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What Kind Of Parent Are You?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

Through lots of reading I've found that there are many different ways to parent. What type of parent are you? Baby wearing? CIO? Pick and Choose your battles? Do you give in? Let them pitch a fit? Time out? Spanking? Anything - share with us :-)

With my 3 month old of course I give her all her needs. I don't let her CIO. I get up to feed her when she wants it.

With my 3 year old I let her pitch fits. I don't give in because we're at the "control" stage. I have to let her realize that I'm the adult. She goes to time out in her room until she's willing to settle down and listen.

With my 7 year old I give her time outs as well. As she's gotten older we really don't have much trouble out of her , besides the occasional talking back when she's in a bad mood. She does chores to earn stuff and I really like her age right now.

by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TatMad
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I think of my self as the "Pick your battles" type of mother. My MIL says that my 2 year old daughter needs to sit in her booster seat everytime she eats ,but i feel that if she wants to sit in the chair to eat that'sfine as long as she is eating. So, but what a great question... i never would have thought of this .Oh and with my 9 month old  i give him what he wants .. so far  and i let my 2 year old  pitch fits, like you we are in the control stage ..we have her do timeouts which are working out better than i thought they would

Calimom2
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM

I think I'm still learning what type of parent I am. I'm certainly not as strict as I thought I would be. I'm on the fence about the whole spanking issue....I've always thought it should be a last resort but then I've also heard that if you are going to be a spanker than you should be consistant about it & not wait until the situation has gotten out of control & you're hitting your kid out of frustration...so that makes sense.  I believeolder babies can CIO...I think as their Mom, you know their routine & what their cries mean so you can tell if they have a need like to be fed, changed etc...I think if they're old enough to self sooth & all there basic needs have been met then I would let them CIO...I have with my kids. With my older son I pick & choose my battles...I don't make an issue out of small stuff but he does get time out when he refuses to obey or throws a fit for no reason.

I just heard a really good speaker at my MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group who was teaching about the different personality types & how we need to parent our kids differently...because ofcaurse they're different people. I have 2 boys who are 3 & 8mo. & they already have different personalities & temperament's so I found that info very helpful. Also she said that we may have a completely opposite personalty/temperamentthen our child so we have to learn to shift that in order to parent them according to there personality & needs. Which makes sense cause we all have learned behaviors & we tend to parent according to how we were parented...whether we are dead set on doing things different or want to do things the same as our parents....but we really need to be tuned in to OUR kids & how to parent them accordingly. So yeah I've been pondering that ever since I heard her speak caus eI know of a few mothers that have difficult kids with persinalities completly different than theirs so it can be challanging to not know these things. Sorry if I got a little of topic..lol.

By the way just curious, what does baby wearing mean?

I am a circumcising, vaccinating, formula feeding, Church going SAHM to 2 little boys & am married to a hard working, devoted family man. Most importantly I am a sinner saved by the Grace of God!

Oh & by the way I'll be voting for McCain!!!

Nice to meet ya=)

LadyUsagi
by on Oct. 16, 2008 at 11:10 PM

With me its kinda in between a lax parent and a strict one. I like having my son in bed before or atleast by 10pm and he gets a bath before bed all the time because his hair is long and gets everything in it. And I dont always get him as soon as he starts crying, I am also trying to teach him no because he likes wires and cords which are not a good thing for a teething baby to play with lol But i am usually attentive to his needs and let him sleep whenever he needs to and for as long as he needs to during the day and I usually feed him when he cries to be fed. I am a first time parent with out much hubby help.."i'll take over more when he can walk" eye rolling

Photobucket

lilmomma4
by on Oct. 17, 2008 at 8:02 AM

I used to be the tend to every little thing mom, but now mostly I just pick my battles. At least with the older ones. Of course with important stuff like homework and going to school and holding hands across the street type stuff, there isn't any negotiations. But, for everyday little stuff like does every single toy have to be in the box?? As long as it's not in the living room or in a doorway I really don't fight it. With my 3yr old it was frustrating potty training, but I just figured he's just going to do it in his own time. It's just not worth stressing over everything.

impulsive1
by on Oct. 17, 2008 at 9:25 AM

With my 4 month old I never let her cry, I immediately respond to her needs. With my 4 year old I have to pick my battles or he would be in trouble all the time. He is honery!! Any idea that pops into his head he will do. One time he took all of the eggs out of the fridge and took them upstairs and broke them all over the floor of his room. This type of stuff is norm for him. My 7 year old is very well behaved most of the time. Just like you said with your 7 year old. He does what he is supposed to most of the time and enjoys helping out whenever possible. Both of my boys have very good manners though. Unless you are home with them all the time you would never know my 4 year old was so bad. He always behaves outside the home. BTW, I would never recommend the CIO (cry it out) method unless you want to drive yourself insane!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN