Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding 4 month old cereal

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

I started giving y daughter oatmeal cereal 2 weeks ago. I thought you were just supposed to start with single grain cereal, I idnt know you were supposed to stat with rice cereal. I think my daughter has been more fussy throughout the day since we started cereal. Do you think its from the oatmeal cereal? Is it ok to switch to rice right now? By the way Ive only given her 2 tablespoons of formula with 2 teaspoons of cereal with her bottle for her night feeding.

Thanks

by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bensmom22
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM

You can switch to rice now. You just have to wait 3 days before trying sometimes new to make sure there are no adverse reactions.

jenC1978
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM

Switch to rice now and try giving her a little less cereal to see how she does.

ARmom
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 2:06 PM

It's ok to try a new food or cereal after 3 days, like the pp said.  My dd did not like rice cereal when we first started, so I actually went to applesauce after it (shhhhhhh!) and she's fine.  Rice cereal is a guideline but not the law.

I always gave my babies their cereals in the morning. I don't know it it makes a difference, but that's when I did it.   
She could be fussy for many reasons - the introduction of the new food - or maybe she is just more hungry now during the day.  Or a growth spurt.

mkemom519
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM

I found that my 5mo.old daughter is fussy after oatmeal, as well.  Rice seems to be okay but the oatmeal makes her a little fussy.  Try the rice, see how she likes it.  If she's still fussy, don't feed her any solids for a couple weeks.  Their digestive systems aren't always ready for it, and if you force it, they can have problems. 

LaceyLady
by on Oct. 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Ya know I saw this on a discover health show.. That rice cereal and stage one beef are digested the same .. Rice isnt easier to digest than stage one food.. Just more bland

Quoting ARmom:

It's ok to try a new food or cereal after 3 days, like the pp said.  My dd did not like rice cereal when we first started, so I actually went to applesauce after it (shhhhhhh!) and she's fine.  Rice cereal is a guideline but not the law.

I always gave my babies their cereals in the morning. I don't know it it makes a difference, but that's when I did it.   
She could be fussy for many reasons - the introduction of the new food - or maybe she is just more hungry now during the day.  Or a growth spurt.

jrssls
by on Oct. 21, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Babycenter.com has some great age by age food advice and the amounts of food and liquids for babies.  Just go under babies on their website!  Hope it helps.

CAarmywife
by on Oct. 21, 2008 at 11:59 AM

at 3.5 months we put the baby on cereal and we tried all the kinds. she only liked rice so we stuck with that. she hhhhated the 2 other kinds she never liked them. is urs pretty runny from the formula?

ARMYWiFEnSAHM
by on Oct. 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM

its not the cereal that got her fussy shes hungry..u give her the cereal at night and she has gotten used to that full feeling so shes lookin for that feelin during the day too. i give my son cereal in his bottles unless im feeding him jar food. it doesnt matter what cereal u start them on as long as u do it for a week and they have no allergic reaction u jus move on to the next. my son is 5 mos and is on stage two foods..because he didnt and refused to eat stage one..and so far he has had no reaction where has my oldest is allergic to bananas and blueberries.

brookes_mom04
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone for advice. I switched to rice cereal that night and she liked it and she hasn't been NEARLY as fussy! :D

MaMa-niCOOL
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:06 PM

I know everyone has their opinions and this is my first so I don't have nearly as much experience as some of you.

I was told not to put it in the bottle because they cant decide not to eat it, that you should try spoon feeding first. I did put some in my sons bottle before but I stopped and decided to wait until 4-5 months, maybe 6. I haven't decided yet! I think I will start with spoon feeding to see it he takes it that way!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)