Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

1yr old tantrums!!! HELP!!! (piog)

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi, Im new to this group and I need your help!!! DS will be one tomorrow and he is throwing horrible tantrums!!! I have no idea what to do at this point. He flings his body around and is hurting himself and others, namely, me! He gave me a black eye yesterday from him flinging his head and arching his back and bam, got me in the eye! Im lookin real cute at the moment... Im pretty sure tantrums are normal at this age but is the flinging and flailing normal? And the fact that hes hurting himself as well as others is that normal? I just dont know what do to and I cant get through my parenting book fast enough! Any suggestions on disapline or anything else I should be doing for this as well as any parenting books that are good, would be great!!! I just need to know what to do with him!!! What happened to my sweet little boy?!?!?

by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VeronicaJane
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 12:54 PM

If your son is like mine, he is at the stage where he wants everything he sees. My son is 14 months. He has been having tantrums for the past few months. When DS throws his tantrums, I DON'T pick him up because I don't want him kicking my stomach (I am pregnant) or busting my lip with his head. I just let him cry it out and make sure he can't throw himself into the coffee table or something. From what I understand, this is a phase that will last until 3 years old. I have been told to put DS in his crib or playpen but I don't even bother; however, if there is a safe place to put your son in "timeout", then that is what I would suggest, just until he calms down.

I am a full-time working, part-time student, vaccinating, tattoed, ears pierced 9x, married before I got pregno, step-mother of one girl, mother of one boy and surprise baby due in March 2009. I will vote Obama but I wish that people would just vote!!!

joyfullem
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:07 PM

ok my daughter started doing that recently too i also DO NOT pick her up i simply walk away and then she relizes im not listening and stops crawls after me it takes a minute ... the only way it will last till they are three is if you let them do it just ignore it and dont reward it and it shouldnt last ... when i took her to her 1 year check up they asked me specifically if she had started because most kids do at this time so its perfectly normal rebekah will throw herself backwards over and over if she feels like it but she stops really fast its hard but just ignore it

portakolis08
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:11 PM

Quoting VeronicaJane:

If your son is like mine, he is at the stage where he wants everything he sees. My son is 14 months. He has been having tantrums for the past few months. When DS throws his tantrums, I DON'T pick him up because I don't want him kicking my stomach (I am pregnant) or busting my lip with his head. I just let him cry it out and make sure he can't throw himself into the coffee table or something. From what I understand, this is a phase that will last until 3 years old. I have been told to put DS in his crib or playpen but I don't even bother; however, if there is a safe place to put your son in "timeout", then that is what I would suggest, just until he calms down.

Very well said, I also like your signature saying!

kallen1180
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM
Whew....glad I'm not the only one going through this. I thought I was just raising a spoiled little brat....my husband even said that I was the reason she's been acting out....glad to know someone else is dealing with the same things.... K
a_l_daigle
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM

yeah my 1 yr old throws himself back, you know what I have been doing lately, when he throws himself back, I help him lay his head on the ground so he doesn't hurt himself throwing himself back and walk away and let him cry.  He will learn sooner or later...

babygirl2024
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I have a daughter that will be three in dec.  She did that as well when she was one.  I just let her scream and holler.  We would normally take her to the Bedroom and let her do it in there.  And when she was done she was allowed out.  No toys, no tv, and most importantly no attention. She has gotten much better but still has her fits and still goes in time out.  I dont think we will ever get away from fits. lol. All they are doin is testin to see what they can get away with.  As hard as it may be you have to stick with it.  Whatever you decide you want to do with it be sure that is what you continue to do.  Or else they will figure a way around it.  I hope this helped.

MyTwoAngels0608
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Time outs, walking away and ignoring the behavior can help.  Also baby signs is a great way to let your little one communicate with you before they can speak verbally.  Tantrums can be because they can't figure out how to tell you what they need or you mistake what they want for something else.  I did baby signs with my daughter and I will do it again with my son.

Andrea (27), DH (29), DD (2), DS (born 6/23/08). Two furbabies Sasha (English Bulldog) and Toby (Mini-Dachshund)
brbmom
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM

I think the best thing to do is do put him somewhere safe (a crib or playpen) and ignore him until he is calm.  Just don't give in!  I would worry about the flinging and flailing only because it could be dangerous.  There was a kid in Indiana, I think he was 4, who threw his head back during a fit and it killed him.  Which is why I said put him in a crib or playpen so he wouldn't hit his head on anything hard. 

sofiasmommy1013
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM

My daughter is 2 yrs. old and she just started throwing tantrums, hitting, tightening up her body and fists.....I sure hope it's a phase, which I hear it is. I'm just consistent with my disciplining her and it helps or makes it worse at times. Time outs work, they just make her cry even more and louder, but I am consistent and I'm hoping I don't go crazy before she finally changes :-) Good luck.

Srodriguez1014
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM

MY DD will be one on November 8th and she does some what of a version of what your son is doing, she doesnt quite throw herself back but she will stiffen her entire body and scream the most deafening shrill ever, i actually took her to the doctor and the doctor nicknamed her "Raptor Girl" like the dinosoaur because it was so ear peircing, however at least i know her lungs are good, one thing that i learned from her nanny ( her babysitter during the day) is when they do that no matter what age you look them dead in the eyes and tell them NO NO and make sure they know wht they did was wrong, then she always puts my DD in the high chair with no toys and straps her in, and she will stay that way until she stops screaming, god bless her nanny, she is from england and has been in child care for over 30 years... but she is a blessing.... hope this helps and remember you have to let him know whos boss...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN