Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting Cereal...

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM
  • 20 Replies

My 3-month old is guzzling down his formula and looks VERY HARD at food.  Is it too soon to give him a little rice cereal in his bottle?  We planned on starting him on December 1st...but I don't think he can wait...<smile>

Would it hurt to give a little bit?

by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileyInezMom
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM

i don't think it would hurt. I would have if my little one would have taken a bottle

twotwinsmom
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:40 PM

Nope won't hurt a bit. For every 2.oz of formula put in 1 tablespoon of cereal. I just use the scoop from the girls formula.My girls drink 6.oz of formula so I use 3 big scoops of cereal. Be sure to shake it good...

lonephoenix
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM

i was told to never put it in a bottle, but you could start feeding him rice cereal straight with a spoon, mixed with a little formula.

twotwinsmom
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Oh forgot to tell you, cut the hole to the nipple just alittle bigger, not too big you don't want him to get too much at once.If you have any questions pm me..

Mama27ddjp
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I started feeding my first son rice cereal with a spoon at 3 months. He loved it! I never put it in his bottle but its ok to do. 

mkemom519
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM

I' ve also heard never to give a baby cereal in a bottle.  I read that it's all about getting them used to eating with a spoon, not about nutrition.  Their main source of calories should be from formula or breast milk, not the cereal.  I started my DD on cereal from a spoon at 4 mo but she wasn't ready, so we waited a couple weeks and then she was fine.

Juliannamommie
by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 8:22 PM

bump idk...

jrsmom07
by on Oct. 31, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Myself coming from a hispanic culture we give babues cereal when they r 2 months old but a lil at a time.  By the time they r 4 months they have them eating mushy rice lol

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Well, even though I technically shouldn't be-lol-I give my 3 month (and 13 days!) old cereal once a day around 3pm. :-) She's been doing everything early and she was VERY interested in food! Even tried grabbing for it once! And she would make chewing motions and noises when we ate. So I fed her some (not in a bottle) and she ate it right up! She loves it!! Although she still watches our food as if she knows that ours tastes better-lol! Anyways, I'm not sure about giving it to them in a bottle 'cause I've never done it but my mom gave my brother some at 3 months. He had reflux really bad and the doctor said to use cereal to thicken the formula. There were never any bad side effects from it or anything. :-) Whatever you decide just remember that you know your baby best and trust your own judgement!

rescq33
by on Oct. 31, 2008 at 2:07 PM

I wouldn't start anything until the baby is atleast 4 months old because it could really damage their digestive system, their system is very immature and I would call your docotr and ask for some suggestions on how to satisfy them if they seem too hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)