Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Starting Cereal...

Posted by   + Show Post

My 3-month old is guzzling down his formula and looks VERY HARD at food.  Is it too soon to give him a little rice cereal in his bottle?  We planned on starting him on December 1st...but I don't think he can wait...<smile>

Would it hurt to give a little bit?

by on Oct. 30, 2008 at 6:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
gmwood
by on Oct. 31, 2008 at 4:28 PM

The doctor had me giving a little rice cereal in Maddy's bottle at 2 months to help with her spit up problems. By the time she was just over 3 months we had a new doctor and he told me to stop putting it in the bottle and just spoon feed it to her. I started with like 2 teaspoons mixed with formula more on the thick side and worked up from there. She is a smaller eater though.

Good Luck!

AMTDLT0708
by on Oct. 31, 2008 at 10:32 PM

I started to put cereal in both of my daughters bottles at two months. They loved it. just don't give to much because it could make them constipated. I would start off once a day, and then increase as he gets older. Just do what u feel is best.

rtenboer
by on Oct. 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Go for it. We have been putting cereal in his formula for over a month now and he is 3.5 months old. If he can handle it.  You will need the medium flow nipples once you put the cereal in it.   We alternate his bottles now with a fruit and water bottle with 1 scoop of formula so he doesn't get constipated. My husband and his older brother both were started on cereal the day they came home from the hospital. So it depends all on the individual baby.

lesmp56
by on Nov. 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM

We just went for our 2 month check up and the dr told us we could start her on rice cereal or oatmeal at 3 1/2 months.

Mom2Ally
by on Nov. 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM

I was told by my sons pedi to give him 2 teaspoons of rice cereal per ounce in his bottle. He has REALLY bad reflux though. He is taking 4 ounces of formula and 8 teaspoons of rice cereal. Then we had to move to the stage 2 nipple cuz stage 1 wasnt big enough to let the cereal through. He has been doing this since about 7 weeks old. He is now over 3 months and still spits up some but its not as bad as it was. I say it wouldnt hurt. My daughter was 3 1/2 months when i started giving her rice cereal on a spoon.

momtorussell
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Two things to remember, rice cereal is empty calories, so you are basically not giving him nutrition by adding the cereal, you are just making him fuller.  If his body is asking for more, then in all likelyhood, he needs the extra calories especially around the three month mark when they go through a growth spurt.  Another thing is that once you start adding cereal, you can't stop.  If you add a meal, you have to continue.  You can't be "busy" one day and not give him his meal.  We chose to wait since we didn't want to add yet another thing to our day.  We just started giving him "dinner" and it does consume some time (not to mention more laundry and dishes!).  Someone also mentioned the readiness of their digestive track and allergies.....

musicangl
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 10:55 AM

i have never and will never put cereal in my kids bottles but i did start my firstborn at 3 months on cereal and baby food. :) she was ready for it and did wonderfully with it :)

Mommy25Boys
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 10:59 AM

My baby is 3 months and loves rice cereal... I put it in a bowl and mix it with his formula of course I make it rather runny but he loves it....

Moore_mommy
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Kiegan gets cereal by a spoon in the morning mixed with juice and sometimes some kind of baby food. He gets baby food for lunch and then he gets a cereal bottle before bed. He just turned 4 months on the 30th of October. I did not start him on any solids till he was a few days shy of being 4 months and he loves food. So if you think your baby is ready for food then you are the only one who can tell. I know that back in the day parents were giving their babies table food by 6 weeks and their babies turned out fine so only you know when your baby is ready. I don't think that a little is bad anyway. As for cutting the hole in the nipple bigger don't do that I use a fast flow nipple and he likes it just fine. Depending on the bottle you use they even have a cereal nipple. Dr. Browns has them and their nipples fit the regular cheap bottles. I use a NUK  the wide neck and the regular the regular ones fit the regular cheap bottles I have not put cereal in his wide neck as I don't have any fast flow nipples for them. Hope this helps.

tippymorgan08
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Not to be rude, but our son looks at food but I haven't ever taken it as him wanting any of it. He's a baby ... he looks hard at everything.

Anyway, your child, your choice. Our son won't get anything solid until he's well over 6 months old, longer if he is still getting full off of breastmilk alone, but that's just us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)