Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

..i LOATHE my baby's pediatrician (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

..its a nightmare. She's awful, awful.. she doesnt listen, she isnt patient. Im at my wit's end with this woman, but i'm stuck with her. Im on medicaid and no other drs in my area are accepting new medicaid patients. I posted a thread earlier about my Veda's rash and nearly every response was 'talk to your dr'. IT MAKES ME MISERABLE TO EVEN THINK OF ASKING THAT WOMAN ANYTHING!!! She always makes me feel like a neurotic mom. This is my first baby, so im lost most of the time, but i PRIDE myself on not being neurotic.. any suggestions for me?

..melissa
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama2jarednrae
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:25 PM

When she gets sick or something can you just take her to the ER instead...if shes that bad I would....Or maybe find another one...in a different area...it may be a little bit of a drive but in the end it would be worth it!
She sounds like my sons dr when he was little....i swear her answer to everything was not smoking around the baby...and every time I tried to tell her no one did..he never smelled of smoke or anything!  She didn't hear it!  Until one day she ignored my son's illness and didn't give him any medicine that he needed...we spent a week in the hospital for that...and that was the end of the line....we still go to the same office but my kids are not allowed to see her under any circumstance!
Good Luck!

Amber: Wife to Mike (10/20/07) Mother to Jared (04/07/04) , Raegen (05/23/08) & planning for # 3

medicinemama
by on Nov. 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM

sorry you're in such a bind.  Keep trying to switch doctors somehow, there's gotta be an opening somewhere.

My son is almost three and I've never had to take him to the doctor.  I treat everything myself. I search until something works. I'm learning as I go. Personally, I have found most doctors to be a disappointment. And I've learned I have to take my health and my children's health into my own hands.

I didn't see your post about the rash, if you haven't figured it out yet, you can send me a message and maybe I can help you.

sarelizt
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

If you can not find another doctor, I think there are ways to improve your relationship with the current doctor.  For one thing, try not to address too many issues at each visit.  I think it is better to limit it to 3 issues maximum and really be thorough with those issues.  Come to the appointment with a written list of symptoms, onset of symptoms, treatments you have tried at home, and the response to those treatments as well as your specific questions and concerns.  This can help direct the flow of the appointment.  Also, if you need to, bring someone else with you to the appointment to help keep the baby happy/quiet or to be a second set of ears to listen to the advice the doctor is giving. 

Good luck!

impulsive1
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 9:51 AM

You should report your pedi to your insurance company. Perhaps they don't know she is a bad doctor. Maybe you could try taking your baby to the health dept (find one that is nice) they usually will see babies for free. Usually more rural areas have nicer health depts than the urban ones.

extremelibrary
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM

Switch Drs. My kids are on Medicaid and most of the drs. are ok. But be careful if they treat you like a mororn because they will call CPS on you and you will be screwed. Happend to me many years ago. Never found abuse or neglect. My kids now have a wonderful pediatric nurse that takes me and my questions seriously. Good luck to you.

Extremelibrary

Lady_Zanthia
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Be honest with the dr and tell her how you feel.  Ask questions and be a pain in her ass.  If she is any decent practioner, she will stop being that way and realize you are the mom and work with you, instead of against you.

Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Sarah (27)  | DH - Brent (31) | DD - Rowan (6 mos.) | Dog - Duncan (9)

CAarmywife
by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 6:46 AM

i would say talk to her too. let her know that u are not comfortable with how she is handling being the doctor of your child. let her know that u dont have a lot of options for doctors and that you are trying to make the best of the situation but would like things to get better. u shouldnt have to limit ur questions, they are the doctors they are the one ur supposed to take ur concerns too. i always ask tons and tons of questions and my doctor checks it all out and answers it all. im not forever and a day at the doctors office by anymeans from my questions, ur the mom u deserve a proper doctor for ur child and to have ur concerns for them validated.

fairysurreale
by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 7:10 AM

I absolutely love my kids pediatrician that they have now but I disliked my DD's old one.  Actually, I disliked the whole office.  Here is a list of a few things that happened:

~when my DD was 2 1/2 months old, the Dr **thought** she had meningitis and sent her to the hospital.  There they CAT scans, drew blood (poked her about 15 times before they could get a vein), did a spinal tap and set her up on antibiotics (which she had an allergic reaction too).  The next day, it was "oops, she had a cold and not meningitis and the Dr could have tested her for that at the office."  WTF.

~when my DD was 9 months old, I took her in for her 8 month appointment (it kept getting rescheduled).  The nurse practitioner weighed her (she weighed about 18-20lbs) and told me Becky was severely malnourished and abused.  When I asked why, she told me because I was giving her formula instead of breast milk and I was abusing my child by doing that.  I dressed my daughter, walked out on her and spoke to the head of the practice the next day.  That NP got fired and my daughter was given a very squeaky clean bill of health.

~when my DD was 13 months old, she had a fever of 104 for 4 days.  It was brought down by Tylenol but I still was concerned that it was coming back.  I called the office and they refused to give me an appointment.  I had to call 3 different time before I got an appointment.  It ended up that my DD had roseola. 

~At my DD's 15 month appointment, I was told to go get some blood drawn for her at the lab.  I went there, saw the clipboard but didn't see a pen.  I asked the tech (who was talking to another tech) where the pen was and I got a "Stupid, its on the clipboard" type remark.  The pen was hanging down behind the desk and the clipboard was glued (I think) to the counter.  How was I supposed to see it?  Then I had to listen to her talk about "stupid people".  Reported her to the office manager on the way out

~when I was moving, I asked the office to do a change of address (this was at my DD's 15 month appointment).  I was told, by the front desk person, that they do not do out of state address changes.  Mmkay. 

When I moved to RI from ME (I had moved to ME from MA earlier that year), I found a wonderful Dr.  My kids love him (and my DD is very afraid of Dr's).  Heck, I love him and wish that he saw adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)