Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spoiled 5month old or something to worry about?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ok so my 5month old is making me get to the point where I'm gonna start crying. She cries non stop if we put her down. In the swing, bouncey, bumbo, walker,on a blanket on the floor on tummy or back. Once we pick her up she stops. Or if she is getting fed. She cries to the point where she makes herself cough and throw-up. I can't even let her go that far. She never used to be like this. I can't do anything. Other thing is that if her dad is holding her she cries also. She will stay with him for awhile but then she goes off after awhile. I can't just keep feeding her and holding her. Any suggestions. Or do you guys think it may be something worse? Helpppp I am so tired and now my 19 month old is acting out also. What should I do?

ang0708.gif picture by Greyhoundgirl1977

by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rachmick
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:13 AM

my daughter did that too. i was the only one that could hold her for the longest time... then my mom. she gradually got better and better. i had the time to hold her and cuddle because she is my only child so it wasn't really a huge problem... just stressful. she had separation anxeity badly. she is now 1 and very very independent so hopefully your baby will grow out of it. i found that for my daughter she got worse if i let her scream because then every time i put her down she thought i wouldnt come back.. so if she cried i got her up again and held her until she was ok being alone. it took time and major patience and was emotionally stressful but worked. i hope you find something that keeps her happy! find someone who can watch her and handle the tears and take a day off!

tippymorgan08
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Sounds like you may have a growth spurt on your hands. Our son isn't a fussy baby at all, but when he goes through a growth spurt, he screams his head off. I've found that putting him in my Moby wrap helps to soothe him and calm him down. It snuggles him close against me so I guess that's why it helps. The sling I have works pretty good too. If you have a sling or a wrap, try that next time.

If it's not a growth spurt, watch her closely to see if she tugs at her ears or plays with them. It could be an inner ear infection.

Those are the two most common "fussy baby" situations other than gas, and since she's 5 month old, I'm sure you can tell if she's just gassy.

Here's more info on growth spurts ...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Aw momma I know it's tough, I have SO been there.

This is a phase, and it will pass. Your baby is starting to recognize when Mommy is away from her, and it scares her. A 5 month old CAN"T be spoiled. It's humanly impossible. They just need affection and reassurance. She just needs to know that you are there when she needs you. It can be very frustrating, but all you can do is endure. Why don't you try a sling? That worked great for me, that way, you don't have to put her down, and she won't be as fussy and she gets to be near you all the time. Don't worry, this will stop really soon!

I found that my daughter really picked this up when she was just starting to be able to sit up, and was more aware of her surroundings. It seemed like she was really itching to get up and go, but she just couldn't physically make herself do it, and I think that it frustrated her. When she starts being able to sit and play, and crawl, she will be more independent and won't need you constantly.

Chin up momma, it's a bumpy ride!

This moment, with this little girl right here, is what makes my life worth living. 

ang0708
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:28 AM

Oh I didn't even think about that. I guess since my first one never did that. Thanks I'll try the wrap.

Quoting tippymorgan08:

Sounds like you may have a growth spurt on your hands. Our son isn't a fussy baby at all, but when he goes through a growth spurt, he screams his head off. I've found that putting him in my Moby wrap helps to soothe him and calm him down. It snuggles him close against me so I guess that's why it helps. The sling I have works pretty good too. If you have a sling or a wrap, try that next time.

If it's not a growth spurt, watch her closely to see if she tugs at her ears or plays with them. It could be an inner ear infection.

Those are the two most common "fussy baby" situations other than gas, and since she's 5 month old, I'm sure you can tell if she's just gassy.

Here's more info on growth spurts ...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

ang0708
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Thank you for the advise..I guess your right cause as soon as she see's me she stops or until I pick her up.

Quoting Ayla-bellesmom:

Aw momma I know it's tough, I have SO been there.

This is a phase, and it will pass. Your baby is starting to recognize when Mommy is away from her, and it scares her. A 5 month old CAN"T be spoiled. It's humanly impossible. They just need affection and reassurance. She just needs to know that you are there when she needs you. It can be very frustrating, but all you can do is endure. Why don't you try a sling? That worked great for me, that way, you don't have to put her down, and she won't be as fussy and she gets to be near you all the time. Don't worry, this will stop really soon!

I found that my daughter really picked this up when she was just starting to be able to sit up, and was more aware of her surroundings. It seemed like she was really itching to get up and go, but she just couldn't physically make herself do it, and I think that it frustrated her. When she starts being able to sit and play, and crawl, she will be more independent and won't need you constantly.

Chin up momma, it's a bumpy ride!

ang0708
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:30 AM

Well she is really good with my parents but that help is only there on weekends. So I guess I just have to try someother tricks the other mamma put up. Thanks

Quoting rachmick:

my daughter did that too. i was the only one that could hold her for the longest time... then my mom. she gradually got better and better. i had the time to hold her and cuddle because she is my only child so it wasn't really a huge problem... just stressful. she had separation anxeity badly. she is now 1 and very very independent so hopefully your baby will grow out of it. i found that for my daughter she got worse if i let her scream because then every time i put her down she thought i wouldnt come back.. so if she cried i got her up again and held her until she was ok being alone. it took time and major patience and was emotionally stressful but worked. i hope you find something that keeps her happy! find someone who can watch her and handle the tears and take a day off!

silver_04
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 3:16 AM

I know what you mean when My daughter  was 5 months she would do that too but worst she would cry if the milk wasn't ready when she wanted it. or when I change her diaper and taking her a bath was the worst!!!!  she would cry so much that she  turn red and I told the Doctor and he told me that she was spoiled!!! I didn't believe him b/c she's a baby what does she know about being spoiled eventually with time it want away now she's 11mos and she doesnt do that anymore... I'm soOoo.....Happy thats over b/c she would make me nervous and scared!!!

baby girlSILVER_04

ang0708
by on Nov. 5, 2008 at 1:10 AM

lol...yeah my lil one scares me too..she made her self throw up by all the crying she did. I get scared cause i dont want my neighbors to think anything wrong. ahhh

Quoting silver_04:

I know what you mean when My daughter  was 5 months she would do that too but worst she would cry if the milk wasn't ready when she wanted it. or when I change her diaper and taking her a bath was the worst!!!!  she would cry so much that she  turn red and I told the Doctor and he told me that she was spoiled!!! I didn't believe him b/c she's a baby what does she know about being spoiled eventually with time it want away now she's 11mos and she doesnt do that anymore... I'm soOoo.....Happy thats over b/c she would make me nervous and scared!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)