Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding Issues!! I need some advice please :)

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 11:35 AM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter will be three months in a couple of days and has recently started to give me problems while feeding. She is bottle fed and she has been taking the bottle then kind of thrashing her head around and wiggeling when she has the nipple in her mouth. Yesterday I tried the next stage nipple (I use the drop ins and they only have slow, fast, and variable). She did great. Actually finished her bottle and didn't act hungry but now today she acts like the bottle is way to fast. How can she do so well one day and the next it be so hard to feed her again. I'm starting to think that maybe I need to introduce her to solids. Rice or Cereal? What do you Mommies think? I am a first time Mom and I hate to admit that it is frustrating me that it is so hard to feed my sweet little girl. Any advice would be great.

by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SamanthaAgain
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:10 PM

My DS has been on the fast nipples for about a month now (we use the same bottles as you) and he had trouble the first day or two, but then he was a master.  Then all of a sudden the other day he was acting like it was too fast for him again.  I just held him so he was almost upright so that if he coughed there wasn't a choking danger, and he figured it out again.

As for starting solids, most people start with rice cereal because it has a very bland taste (it will taste like formula after you mix it) and it has a very low allergy risk.  After that just take a look at the stage 1 foods at the grocery store.  Always put at least 4 days in between a new food.  My DS likes oatmeal cereal much better than rice cereal, and he also likes a bit of texture, so I mix oatmeal cereal with everything he eats.

Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for pretty much everything you could ever want to know about solid foods, including how to make your own if you're interested.

famblink35.gifMy2thBlinkie.gifstepmom.gifTattoed Mommy

firedragoneyes
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 12:39 PM

With her being three months i would not start her on solids unless she is ready for it.  my doctor told me that if they are eating 24 ounces of formula or more a day and still acting as if they are hungry start the cereal.  You also want to start them on the orange food first but that is what the docs say.  my oldest of my girls, who is now 6 yrs, was eating that much at three months with cereal in the bottle, i know a big no no but hey she was happy.  the other thing to watch is if you are looking at putting her on solids at this young then you are going to have the tounge reflex, they spit the food back out unintentually.  Walmart, is where i found them, have something called a feeder bottle, they are great for feeding solids at this age.  I do not think the docs agree with you doing it though.  the other thing is make sure not to over feed cause it can cause problems.  I was a first time mom and she ended up getting a stomach viruse cause she at too much.

Jesnik059
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for your advice!! You are both a great help :)

JanTay
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 2:24 PM

My son is just now 3 months old.  I started putting cereal in his bottle at 2 months old.  But the doc told me to because he has acid reflux.  He gets 5 bottles each day and I put cereal in 3 of them.  Only 2 scoops of the rice cereal for the 6oz bottle of formula.  I still use the stage 1(doc brown) nipple on the reg bottle and on the cereal I use the stage 2.  Every bottle he eats... is at a diff speed.  I think it just depends on how hungry they are.. and how tierd they are.  If he is tierd he eats it soooo slow.  He is also a very active baby and almost always moves while eating.  When he starts this I just take the bottle out and burp him.. it usually helps and relaxes him....  Good luck with everything!  All babies are so diff!! I am sure your learning that now :)

ClownPleco
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Introducing solids too early can actually increase the chance of developing food allergies in the future. Except under physician direction, you shouldn't give your baby solids until she is at least 4-6 months old. Most start with rice cereal.

It is also not recommended for most babies to put cereal into their bottles. This can lead to overfeeding your child, and subsequently, having an obese child.

As for your daughter's reactions...I'm not sure. I breastfed until about 8 months. All I can say is that babies definitely change their routines and don't forward the memos to the moms! You could just try changing the nipples (flows) back and forth. Maybe just make sure the temperature is okay, and that it is mixed well, and that she's being burped properly and often enough. You might even try using a different kind of bottle if she continues to have problems. When we started using bottles, we went through several kinds before we found the one she liked.

Hope everything works out for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)