Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

i have a question about diabetes......

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

ok so last nite my 20 yrs old brother went upstairs to get a drink. a few seconds after he got up there we heard a huge noise..like something was gonna fall through the celling. we all ran upstairs and my bro passed out. he was really white(even his lips) couldnt talk and was out fro prolly 4 mins. we have a lot of diabetics in my family. my grandmother has a glucose tester here so my mmom used it this mornin and it came back 83.....is that high or low or wat?? wat should ur blood measure normally? does it matter male or female? should he see a doctor????

thanks!!!

by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leyash
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:32 PM

83 is kind of low. Most doctors would reccommend that it's between 120 and 150.

Noahsma08
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM

is that man or women and does age make a difference?

Quoting leyash:

83 is kind of low. Most doctors would reccommend that it's between 120 and 150.

leyash
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Noahsma08:

I'm not sure... let me talk to my aunt (who has diabetes, and is a nurse as well..) Give me just a minute.

Noahsma08
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM

ur awesome!

Quoting leyash:

Quoting Noahsma08:

I'm not sure... let me talk to my aunt (who has diabetes, and is a nurse as well..) Give me just a minute.

leyash
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:48 PM

She said age doesn't really have much to do with it, and that they don't consider it LOW, until it gets down below 55. & a HIGH blood sugar would be something over 200.

So, wow... I was way off. Haha.

Has he been tested?

Noahsma08
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:50 PM

he is 20...my mom tested his blood this mornin shes gonna do it again tonite.

Noahsma08
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 1:56 PM

thank you soo much! my mom was worried. we r still gonna keep checkin it though for a couple days and see! again thanx!! <3

Quoting leyash:

She said age doesn't really have much to do with it, and that they don't consider it LOW, until it gets down below 55. & a HIGH blood sugar would be something over 200.

So, wow... I was way off. Haha.

Has he been tested?

Kittismama
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM

even if it isn't diabetes he should see a doctor.  passing out for four minutes can be a sign of other problems as well. 

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.   Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Twain~

ClownPleco
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 4:31 PM

I worked as an ICU RN for 10 years, and have taken care of a lot of diabetics.

A normal blood sugar is 60-100 for the average, non-diabetic person. 83 sounds perfect. If your brother were diabetic, he'd likely have other signs, like excessive urination and thirst. You also have to consider what his risk factors are. Heredity does play a role, but it matters what kind of diabetes runs in the family, type 1 or 2. If it's Type 2, you and your brother can avoid it by watching your weight, your diet and by exercising regularly.

I agree with the above post: loss of consciousness for no apparent reason can be alarming. It might behoove him to make an appointment with the family physician. Syncope (passing out) can result from a number of things, spanning from dehydration to heart problems to neurological issues.

Lady_Zanthia
by on Nov. 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM

Depends on if he hd eaten recently.  if he had, it's low.  if not, then normal.

You can pass out from low blood sugar.  And starting out with low blood sugar, you can develop high blood sugar later in life.

Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Sarah (27)  | DH - Brent (31) | DD - Rowan (6 mos.) | Dog - Duncan (9)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)