Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Babies laying on tummy?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM
  • 27 Replies

Does any one let their babies sleep on their tummy? Im Just wondering because my 3 month old loves to...but it scares me cause i think of SIDS...But he loves it and that is the only way to sleep....and is it safer to let him sleep on his stomach on my chest..

by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJP_ASP_MOMMY
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:32 PM

My daughter has been tummy sleeping since she came home from the hospital...I know im going to get bashed for saying that and I dont care!

It is absolutly positively the ONLY way she will sleep!

We're not evil. We do no harm. We're not dangerous. We're ordinary people. We have families, jobs, hopes, and dreams. We're not a cult. This religion is not a joke. We're real, not like what you see on T.V. We laugh, we cry. We're serious. We have a sense of humor. You don't have to be afraid of us. We don't want to convert you. And please don't try to convert us. Just give us the same right we give you--to live in peace. We are much more similar to you than you think." Margot Adler

I'm A 24 Year Old Wiccan, Obama Voting, Non-smoking, Pro-choice, Circumcising, Formula-Feeding, Vaccine Giving, Disposable Diapering,  Non Co-Sleeping, CIO, Belly Sleeping, Strict Disciplining, Book Reading, Public Schooling, Gun Hating, Playing Outside Daily Rain Or Shine, Former Teen, SAH Mommy Of Two & Damn Proud Of It! myspace.com/mommyoftwo2584

aarkat
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:35 PM

My daughter is almost 4 months, and always sleeps on her tummy.  She usually falls asleep on me, and then I lay her in the bassinet on her tummy.  I think a baby has a better chance of not choking on spit-up if they're on their belly.  And she sleeps better.  I think it's important to have a mattress that isn't offgassing a bunch of smelly plastic chems.  If you get a new mattress, let it get plenty of airing out before you use it.

Mikelas_Mom
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:52 PM

My daughter is 9 months now and sometimes sleeps on her tummy. But when she was a newborn she was more comfortable sleeping on her tummy so I would lay her on my chest and let her sleep. I thought that was the best thing for me to do cause I was paranoid about SIDS too so I thought if she is on me then I can feel her breathing. It worked great and she and I both slept throught the night!

abra
by Abra on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Mira has slept on her side or belly since she came home from the hospital. She won't sleep any other way and since she can move/lift her head, it doesn't worry me too much.

NICE ADVICE

NachoCheese
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM

My son slept on his back until he figured out how to roll over, and then no matter what I tried I'd find him on his tummy anyway, lol.

TLT1983
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM

My son has slept on his back since he was born... When he first came home he would sleep on his tummy on a pillow and then he graduated to my chest/tummy. He doesn't sleep on his back UNLESS I am holding him. And since I don't want a spoiled baby I don't hold him when he is sleeping. I think the best way for a baby to sleep is on their backs anyway because they could choke on their back. I don't understand why people say that babies should sleep on their backs anyway, it just doesn't make any  sense at all.

Triston Jakobe is my little miracle! Mommy Loves Her Baby!

feeding baby

princessconnie
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 4:04 PM

when my son was a month and half the only way he would sleep through the night is on his belly and he still sleeps that way till this day. he is like his mama i sleep the same way myself too

babyNme
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 5:01 PM

JMO, but holding your baby while they sleep is not spoiling them. For a long time, that was the ONLY way my daughter would fall asleep- if we held her. But to answer the question of the poster, my daughter has slept on her tummy since she was a few months old. She would roll to her side or reposition herself to sleep that way, and no matter if I picked her up and put her on her back she would go back to her tummy... she never had any problems and knew that she needed to turn her head to breathe.

Quoting TLT1983:

My son has slept on his back since he was born... When he first came home he would sleep on his tummy on a pillow and then he graduated to my chest/tummy. He doesn't sleep on his back UNLESS I am holding him. And since I don't want a spoiled baby I don't hold him when he is sleeping. I think the best way for a baby to sleep is on their backs anyway because they could choke on their back. I don't understand why people say that babies should sleep on their backs anyway, it just doesn't make any  sense at all.

DianalovesRich
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM

We started our son on his side with one of those holder things, but he prefered his tummy.

Diana ~*

lilNathansMommy
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 6:19 PM

If my baby is sleeping in a room by himself, I put him on his back and at night when he is in his bassinet in our room.  But if we are in the room or we lie him on the couch or our bed, I let him go on his tummy.  I DO think they sleep on their tummy better though.  Once they start rolling over, just let them sleep how they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)