Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Babies laying on tummy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does any one let their babies sleep on their tummy? Im Just wondering because my 3 month old loves to...but it scares me cause i think of SIDS...But he loves it and that is the only way to sleep....and is it safer to let him sleep on his stomach on my chest..

by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Replies (21-27):
batsonsgirl
by on Dec. 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM

the two nights i have let her sleep on her tummy she slept 8+ hours....  both times tho...she ate what seemed more than usual before goin to sleep, but boy does she go to bed late.. like midnight!  oh well, i got some sleep, no complaining here

have your own simple home biz
http://www.stayhomewithcandles.com

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
Brandib07081
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Just like most of the others...My son has slept on his tummy from the beginning. I was, well am very paranoid about sids. I just make sure theres nothing around him and that he always has his head turned to one side. Hes 4.5 months old now so I dont worry as much.

Nelliebelly13
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 9:13 AM

Both my kids sleep on their tummies. My two year old sleep on his stomack after he started rolling over. Before that I would lay him om his side. My daughter though has been on tummy since we came home from the hospital. That is the only way she sleeps good. She sleeps in her crib in our room so I don't really worry about her. She is loud sleeper so I can always hear her breathing and snoring. She will be 3 months tomorrow.

AbbysMom059
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Quoting TJP_ASP_MOMMY:

My daughter has been tummy sleeping since she came home from the hospital...I know im going to get bashed for saying that and I dont care!

It is absolutly positively the ONLY way she will sleep!

same here momma!

Hallmomma
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 3:41 PM

Just to give you some relief...once a baby can flip, its OK to let them sleep how they want...you can even ask your doctor.  Just dont put too much in the crib and if it helps, get a monitor that alarms if there is no movement for 20 seconds

Quoting Danesmommy1:

I would NOT let my sleep on his stomach.  Way too scared of SIDS. I put those triangle wedge pillows around him so he couldn't roll over.  He's 8.5 months and outgrown the pillows, but I still put him on his back.  If he rolls over, I roll him back.

Elke

stacy2607
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM

i agree...when i went to the going home class in the hospital after my baby was born the woman said "i know a lot of u have heard that holding a baby too much or holding them when they sleep will spoil them, well its not true..u cannot spoil a new baby by holding them too much that is how a baby learns to bond with u and to trust you..now after they reach 6 months thats a different story"...so i hold my baby as much as i can.

Quoting babyNme:

JMO, but holding your baby while they sleep is not spoiling them. For a long time, that was the ONLY way my daughter would fall asleep- if we held her. But to answer the question of the poster, my daughter has slept on her tummy since she was a few months old. She would roll to her side or reposition herself to sleep that way, and no matter if I picked her up and put her on her back she would go back to her tummy... she never had any problems and knew that she needed to turn her head to breathe.

Quoting TLT1983:

My son has slept on his back since he was born... When he first came home he would sleep on his tummy on a pillow and then he graduated to my chest/tummy. He doesn't sleep on his back UNLESS I am holding him. And since I don't want a spoiled baby I don't hold him when he is sleeping. I think the best way for a baby to sleep is on their backs anyway because they could choke on their back. I don't understand why people say that babies should sleep on their backs anyway, it just doesn't make any  sense at all.

MommyMissyfits
by on Dec. 4, 2008 at 1:40 AM

babies are naturally more comfortable sleeping on their tummy's but you run a higher risk with SIDS and if an infant spits up on their back they most likely will not choke. they turn their head from side to side. In Most hospitals the baby is swaddled and propped at a 3/4 angle with a wedged mattress which can be simulated at home. Or even the Munchin wedges to keep them on their side. (when on their backs there is a reflex than startles them awake ) if you swaddle and prop them on their side they wont startle awake along with reducing the occurence of SIDS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)