Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Babies laying on tummy?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does any one let their babies sleep on their tummy? Im Just wondering because my 3 month old loves to...but it scares me cause i think of SIDS...But he loves it and that is the only way to sleep....and is it safer to let him sleep on his stomach on my chest..

by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
tajehra
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 3:13 PM

all 3 of my girls slept on their tummy as infants! yes sids is scary but my girls slept with paci's so i wasnt worried about sids. they couldnt sleep any other way. plus my middle daughter had issues with her tummy (acid reflux ) and it just felt better for her to be on her tummy!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Danesmommy1
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I would NOT let my sleep on his stomach.  Way too scared of SIDS. I put those triangle wedge pillows around him so he couldn't roll over.  He's 8.5 months and outgrown the pillows, but I still put him on his back.  If he rolls over, I roll him back.

Elke

batsonsgirl
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 7:36 PM

my baby is 8 weeks old today. my DH once laid her on her side and she rolled onto her belly. slept the longest she ever has then. but i was terrified to find her that way. and scared to let her do it again.   she can lift her head and sometimes it gets stuck face down, not head turned, i would be scared she would suffocate herself. i think that is why they say not tummy down. but i SOO want to try it again because i so desperately need my sleep

have your own simple home biz
http://www.stayhomewithcandles.com

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
scooter81
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM

i tried to get my son to lay on his back but he wont sleep unless hes on his side or belly. it makes me feel better that way incase he throws up or something he wont choke on it like he would if he was on his backbaby boy

Danielle Azzarellabouncing

MOMofLITTLEmen
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 8:20 PM

I know that SIDS is always a big scare for mothers with young babies. The one thing that helped ease my mind (in a very sad way) was my friend lost her baby to SIDS. She did EVERYTHING by the book. I mean EVERYTHING!!!! She still lost her little girl. So IMO it's going to happen no matter what a mother does, no matter what precautions a mother may take. My son slept on his belly. It's the only way that he would sleep. If we put him on his back he would wake up every 10 minutes and stay awake for an hour all day and all night long. He's almost 3 now and STILL can only sleep on his belly. My youngest now likes to sleep propped up, which makes me feel better anyway. He's always spitting up and I'd rather have him sleep on his belly or upright than aspirate on spit up.

ja2welsh
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM

My daughter started sleeping on her tummy when I couldn't sleep for days when we came home from the hospital. I figured I would try it during the day because the docs always scared me about tummy sleeping. It was like a dream come true! She slept..ahhhh....

Then I had her sleep on her tummy at night and the crying stopped (both of us) and we both finally got some sleep! Well, for a few nights I couldn't sleep, I would watch her. This is the only way she sleeps! Not in the car seat or swing or anything, only on her tummy in the crib or playpen or even the floor on a blanket. She's a tummy girl, but, so am I! :) It's scary for nervous Mom's to see her sleep now....she usually in completely face down, nose smushed and all!

Jen :)

lgroves
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 10:39 PM

I know exactly how you feel!  When we brought my youngest home (he is now 19 months old), he was the perfect baby.  He never cried and went to sleep easily on his own.  He also rolled onto his side as soon as we laid him down.  After about 2 - 3 weeks, that changed.  He quit rolling, and after his bottle, he did not want to go to sleep on his own.  We would have to rock his bassinet and be completely silent to get him to sleep.  After about 10 - 15 minutes of rocking, we would try to leave the room.  The tiniest squeak in the floor or opening the door would result in him crying.  Sometimes it would take an hour to get him to go to sleep and leave the room.  It was awful at night, because he would be quiet for a while, so we would stop rocking and try to lay down, but the second our heads hit the pillow, he was crying again. 

We went through this for about a month, putting him around 6 weeks old or so.  I finally thought, you know, he loves tummy time and he used to always roll onto his side, so maybe he just doesn't like being on his back.  So we rolled up a receiving blanket and put it behind his back and it helped some, but he still didn't get to sleep on his own and stay asleep, he just fussed a little less.  Finally, when he was about 8 weeks old, I decided to let him try it on his tummy.  Of course, I was worried, but I knew he wasn't getting enough sleep because he was so restless and we definitely weren't getting enough sleep - so I gave in.  It worked like magic!!  He would go to sleep the second we laid him down and wouldn't make a peep!  It was such a relief!  I did let the doctor know this and he didn't disaprove, but gave me the SIDS warning.  I told him I knew about that, but it's a rare occurence and he refuses to sleep any other way, which is not good for him or us.  Doc agreed with that.  He still sleeps on his tummy to this day, and will probably be a lifer!

old-house2.jpg old house image by kayokayoCentury Old Homes
Do you like old houses?  Do you happen to live in one?  Join the group!  It's a place to share pictures, tell stories about renovations, and get ideas for your home.  Just click on the house:)

Mia055
by on Nov. 22, 2008 at 12:18 AM

My son been layin on his tummy since he was 2 weeks and has loved it ever since...he doesn't sleep any other way and hav never had any problems

frndlyfn
by on Nov. 22, 2008 at 1:29 AM

I dont know if anyone has read the study done on how fans can help reduce the risk of sids . That may help if your baby likes to lay on tummy. I understand why they want babies to sleep on back it is so if they do spit up or throw up they wont put their face in it and potentially drown.  SIDS is more related to breathing and sleep apnea if i read the research right. We always have a fan running in dd's bedroom just for the white noise factor since we live in an apartment. I wouldnt worry bout if your baby sleeps on their tummy, maybe just make sure their face is showing so you know there is no blocked air.

MOMofLITTLEmen
by on Nov. 22, 2008 at 5:49 PM

They have been coming out with information about SIDS being linked to lack of serotonin levels. They have been saying this since 2006. Thought that maybe you would like to take a look. I thought that it was interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-10-31-brainstem_x.htm

Quoting frndlyfn:

I dont know if anyone has read the study done on how fans can help reduce the risk of sids . That may help if your baby likes to lay on tummy. I understand why they want babies to sleep on back it is so if they do spit up or throw up they wont put their face in it and potentially drown.  SIDS is more related to breathing and sleep apnea if i read the research right. We always have a fan running in dd's bedroom just for the white noise factor since we live in an apartment. I wouldnt worry bout if your baby sleeps on their tummy, maybe just make sure their face is showing so you know there is no blocked air.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)