Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When to move newborn to own room

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM
  • 22 Replies

I was wondering what some opinions were of others about the appropriate age/time to move my newbon from the bassinet in our room to his own crib in his room. We have a baby monitor and the room is right next door. I was thinking we should do this before my hubby goes back to work next week, but I dont know if it is too early?? He is 2 weeks old. Thanks....

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy21beauty
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM

When we had our daughter, she slept in her bouncer for 2 or 3 days and then she was put into her own room in her crib with a nightlight. Since it was right across the hall and we had the monitor it worked out great, and we got tons more sleep than if she was in our room. I don't think that there is a certain time to wait to put them in their own room, but I think personally the sooner the better. My daughter sleeps great since day 4 in her crib.

mamaof32007
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM

with my first son he slept in the room with me until he was 4 months, hubby was deployed and I was living with my parents, with our twins as soon as they came home from the hospital ( 6 and 7 weeks) they were in there own room with there own cribs.  I did however sleep on there floor for about 2 weeks.  it worked out fine, I had a harder time then they did, they didnt have any issues being in there own room.

Ivey711
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM

We did 4 months with our daughter...

Nelliebelly13
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM

It depends on when you are ready. My so sleep with me for the 1st year of his life. My husband deployed when he was 2 weeks old and I didn't want to sleep all by myself. He is now 2 and sleeps in his room just fine. There are absoultly no bad side effects from him sleeping with me. My daughter on the other hand has been in her crib since she was 2 weeks old. Her crib is in my room and she sleeps 10 hours through the night. If I had id my way she would be in her own room, but I just moved in with a friend because our husbands are deploying next month and we don't want to live alone. My son and friend have thier own room and then Jasmine and I share a room.

Sillieguze
by Member on Nov. 27, 2008 at 11:22 AM

We moved my son into his own room when he was about 6 weeks old.  I wasn't quite ready to move him then, but my husband really wanted to move him so we did.  Afterwards, I was glad that we moved him when we did. 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
SRLPrincess1067
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Whenever YOU are ready, hon. Don't worry if the baby is fine, because as you can see, many moms including me put their babies in their own room early.

Personally..... I think it is MUCH better on the sex life if they aren't in the same room... I never liked doing it with the baby in the room, and we all know............ that a happy hubby is a well (um, you know) hubby. It just helps with post-baby marital-tension!!!!!!

Hope this helps!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Charmain......... A Wife, Mother, and Leader

BRI32508
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 3:04 PM

IMO 2 weeks is too early, we didn't try it until Alyssa was 2months old, it didn't go well, so we  got her in there at 4 months, and i felt like that was a  perfect age!

lilmomma4
by on Nov. 27, 2008 at 6:48 PM

I moved all my kids by the 4th month. Noah is now 4mths old and we are going to move him either Sunday or Monday when my boyfriend is off work. I figure he sleeps thorough the night now anyway.

lyndallsmom
by on Nov. 28, 2008 at 9:58 AM

DD#1 was 5 months old when she went from basinet in my room to crib in her room. DD#2 is 8 weeks old. Not sure when I will move her yet. I probably could do it now, she sleeps 6-8 hrs a night regularly. I just like having her near me still !!!

Kim

in lovebreastfeeding

garricksmommy
by on Nov. 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM

the earlier the better then they lean that thir bed is for sleeping we put our son in his own room own bed day 2 home from the hospital he cried for a bit but then went to sleep and has been sleeping in his room ever since.  It may sound harsh but that is how we had to do it in order to get any sleep.  As long as you have a moniter and no stuffed animals and just a recieving blanket the baby will be just fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)