Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Question!?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM
  • 3 Replies
Ok.. sooo i havent really heard or know enough about BPA to know but should I look for BPA free toys and if i should how do i know if there are or not ?????? please someone help I dont have a clue what it is
by on Dec. 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lverdone
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 12:06 PM

Most things are now labeled BPA-free if they don't have BPA.

From what I've read, the chemical is only released in small amounts if you heat the bottle(cup) with the liquid in it. 

Theres tons of stuff on the internet - doing a google search will bring up lots of stuff and you can make your own opinion of it too. 

Autumn22
by on Dec. 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM

BPA is bad news.  The FDA is now looking into it again... after some serious pressure from scientists who won't back down.  There have been hundreds of studies showing how harmful this stuff is.  It's also in pretty much all canned food... just to give you a heads up.

For 2000 years doctors looked at the world through the filter (belief) that 'bleeding was therapeutic'. Not until the general education of the public lead people to rebel against this mistake was it corrected. Today many look at the world through the belief that 'vaccines work'.    www.myspace.com/parentsagainstvax 

MommyMissyfits
by on Dec. 4, 2008 at 2:03 AM

BPA leaches from the plastic when placed on or near the mouth or when there is fluid or food in it. Safemom.com lists alot of BPA things, Starting Jan 09 no toy for an infant or toddler can have BPA it will be considered a hazardous waste in the USA. this has been the case in most European countries for a # of years. As of 11/01/08 all items for infants and toddlers that were shipped from manufacturing plants to stock were required to be BPA free as well as many other hazardous chemicals. To ship to a store now a manufacturer must include the safety testing info for each product with the shipment and there are certain requirements for each age grade, with 0-6m as well as anything under 3 have the highest amount of testing. Nuby teethers have been tested already and are safe from BPA (endocrine disrupter and carcinogen) there is a bug teether and key ring. Also Pacifier's the shield in many popular brands contain BPA. (Binky has an all silicone brand Nuk orthodonitc has been BPA free and soothies as well there are more and they are amending many brands due to new laws)

also know when you are eating food as well most plastic packaging may have BPA (look for the # 7 on the bottom in the recycle it is on promise shots it has High BPA)

alot of "organic baby food and juices are packaged in plastic.. and we dont know what is in that.

also formula (premixed) bottles have it , as well as most tubs it lines the packaging for the powder although less leaches into the formula in powder form than in liquid

most canned foods - the cans are lined in plastic containing BPA - there have been steps made to remove it, but with canned tomatoes and sauces they have found NO other option at present time due to the acid content in tomatoes. alot of cartons (soups broths juices juice boxes are also  lined in plastic containing BPA)

It is very scary when you find out how many products we use daily that have it. But come 09 toys bottles and pacifiers should be ammended to not contain this toxic chemical.

Also when getting fillings for cavities keep in mind. .. silver amalgam fillings do contain some lead.... white fillings contain a considerable amount of BPA ... only fillings known to not leach anything.. if you arent allergic... are gold. .

then again the toothpaste tube or the hydrogen peroxide bottle... do they have it .. dont know even your milk gallon bottle.. is that safe? its a little scary....

Checking some FDA as well as AAPeds can help to answer alot of questions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)