Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding woes

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM
  • 3 Replies

Our DS is 6 mos. old and we started him on cereal (first rice, then oatmeal) and veggies and fruits around 5 mos.  I was wondering how many times a day he should be having solids?  I know that breastmilk/formula should still be his main source of nutrition for the first year.  I don't want to underfeed him, nor do I want to overfeed him.  When it comes time for breakfast, he is more interested in his surroundings than eating.  How do I get him to be more interested in the food?  Any advice? 

by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SamanthaAgain
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:21 AM

At this point it's just practice.  My goal every day is 3 meals.  Connor is pushing 6 months old and we started around 3 1/2 months.  But I just go by his mood.  Half an hour after a bottle if he's in a good mood I'll pull out the high chair.  If he's in a playful mood I let him play.  If he's grumpy I don't even try.  Some days he only gets one meal.  Most days he gets 2.

My2thBlinkie.gif(Currently in stock: Cloth diaper covers [various brands, x-small and small] and brand new in box microwave bottle sterilizers!  More coming soon!)

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM

My LO is 9 months old and he gets breakfast and dinner.  I just can't interest him in lunch yet.  I think the key is to keep offering it to them, eventually he'll catch on. 

Elke

kisarn02
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Eating food at that age is just for practice and to get used to different taste and textures. The AAP says breat or forumula only until 6mo. I started my kids on cereal once a day about 6.5 mo and just went slowly based on what they wanted. But once a day at most twice at 6mo is plenty. My DS went to three meals around 9mo and my DD at 8mo (and she had no solids until 7mo and 20lbs). so they all go on their own pace. You can always put him in the highchair when you eat meals so he gets used to family meals and let him play wiht a toy or play with some solids, bananna, puffs etc. and if he eats some he does and if not, no big deal.

Moslty just follow his lead but he should have all his nutrition come from boob or bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)