Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Please help my poor little one......any help at all.

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son Riley (5 months) came down with a virus that caused a rash, fever & now he keeps going #2 at least 6-7 times a day. Its to the point that I will change him and 20 minutes later there is more in his diaper. 

Well.. now the fever & the rash is gone and he feel better. but now he still is going #2...needless to say my poor baby has a horrible rash and he literally loses his breath and screams and just fings his arm & legs in pain. I cry every time I have to change him. I have 2 creams for him that the Hospital prescribed at birth in the NIC Unit, but never needed it. He has never had a rash before..... Any ideas what to do to one help him stop going #2 so much and help clearing the rash or if anything any ideas on how to clean him up without hurting him so badly???????????

by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacymomof2
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 4:30 PM

Cool water and a soft cloth for cleaning.  Baking soda soak for pain.  brat diet....bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (or whatever of those things your lo can eat!)

bensmom22
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM

PP's ideas with cornstarch.

SRLPrincess1067
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Cheese squares. The harder the cheese, the harder the stools. Since he's 5mos, he's probably able to eat it grated instead of squares. BRAT diet works too!!! Bananas, Rice cereal, applesauce or juice, and toast.......... like the first mom said.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Charmain......... A Wife, Mother, and Leader

Swt_Mama
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM

WHAT SHE SAID HOPES HE FEELS BETTER MAYBE YOU COULD LEAVE HIS BUTT OUT TO AIR JUST PUT A PAD OR TOWEL UNDER HIM INCASE OF A POOP

Quoting SRLPrincess1067:

Cheese squares. The harder the cheese, the harder the stools. Since he's 5mos, he's probably able to eat it grated instead of squares. BRAT diet works too!!! Bananas, Rice cereal, applesauce or juice, and toast.......... like the first mom said.

LiviGracesmom
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM

I would do the same, soak his little bottom, stop using wipes and use a damp cloth instead, and maybe let him "air out" a little.  Go with the binding diet that everyone else suggested!

kisarn02
by on Dec. 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM

YOu can also give him probiotics to help his gut get back the normal bacteria that has been lost due to illness. If he takes a bottle you can put it in the formula or breastmilk. The vitmain stores has powder for kids.

yes, baking soda soaks help get the acid off and stop the burning, also put his bum under running water to clean him and stop the wipes, dab instead of wipe. putting some maalox on his bum can also help neutralize the acidic burning stool. once the stool stops the thick overnight desitin works great, and a better one (kinda expensive) is Calmoseptine (you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter)--it is zinc oxide with a numbing medicine in it.

my son has had some really acidic poo and diaper rashes that cause bleeding blisters and it is the worst when you have to change them so often and they scream and shake in pain. I would also cry with him. and for my son once he got his first blistering rash, at 10mo, it seemed it happened easier since his skin was damaged.

rachmick
by on Dec. 6, 2008 at 12:57 AM

i used a wet paper towell or rag so it wouldnt sting and put tons and tons of cream on it. also epsion (sp) salt bath will help heal it a little faster :( poor thing

Natasha316
by on Dec. 6, 2008 at 1:21 AM

sounds like riley has roseola. My son had it at 6mnths and it usually  starts with high fever then rash and the diarrhea although the rash looks uncomfortable it usually isn't my son was cranky and had diarrhea and I would use a cold wet rag and dab it on his bottom the diarrhea is good that means his body is getting rid of the virus just make sure he gets alot  of liquid as he could get dehydrated and that would be really bad. carrots are good to eat during diarrhea bouts and so are bananas. hope this helps and don't worry riley is gonna be okay

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 6, 2008 at 7:29 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing, Roseola.  Fever then a rash...  My LO's had a fever for a few days, the pedi said to look out for a rash.

Elke

Quoting Natasha316:

sounds like riley has roseola. My son had it at 6mnths and it usually  starts with high fever then rash and the diarrhea although the rash looks uncomfortable it usually isn't my son was cranky and had diarrhea and I would use a cold wet rag and dab it on his bottom the diarrhea is good that means his body is getting rid of the virus just make sure he gets alot  of liquid as he could get dehydrated and that would be really bad. carrots are good to eat during diarrhea bouts and so are bananas. hope this helps and don't worry riley is gonna be okay

Erika560
by on Dec. 6, 2008 at 7:34 AM

Don't use baby wipes to clean him they will irritate the rash also I wouldn't use any creams they could be burning him I would try Aquaphor.  That is the only thing I use and I use it for everything.  I love the stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)