Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborns and Formula

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM
  • 13 Replies

My friend recently had a little girl a week ago and we were talking about formula and which one she should get, I am also due in about 7 weeks with a girl. I used to work at a pediatric office and got all my formula free for my son but she was wondering if you can give your newborn the 'generic' brand of formula. The ingredients seems the same but I was thinking about it and wonered if it wasn't a name brand if there was less nutrients. But it's SO much cheaper. Does/Has anyone used generic formula or know why not to use it?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elizabg
by Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:20 AM

My oldest son couldn't use it.  It didn't agree with him.  He got really gassy and acted like he was always hungry.  I ended up using Enamil Lipil.  My other son could have cared less what type of formula.  I think it depends on the baby.  She may also want to look into WIC.  I don't know what her situation is but the income guidelines are pretty high to qualify. 

lyla1smommy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:27 AM

All formula brands whether its enfamil or the target brand need to follow the same nutritional guidelines....there is not much variation on the formula if any.....its just if you want the name brand or not....either one will be good for your child.....alot of times the name brand company is also the producer for the generic brand its just given a different label.....

lyndallsmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM

When DD#1 weaned at 6 months, we used generic formula. It is just as good as the name brand stuff. DD#2 is 2 1/2 months old but isn't on formula. If she was, we'd be using generic for her too.

Kim

in lovebreastfeeding

Mom2b_of2under2
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:55 AM

Thanks so much for the advice ladies!

fallentears1986
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM

I seriously doubt they do but does anyone know if there is a generic brand like Similac alimentum? It's like 30$ for a can of powder but my DD got colicky with regular kind. Oh also does anyone know if colic goes away ever? I would like to try the regular similac again but worry about colic. Thanks ladies!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM

I use Parent's Choice.  It's EXACTLY the same as name brand.  My LO has never had name brand formula, we've always done store brand. 

Elke

whales
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:54 PM

My daughter was on Similac advance since she was born. She is 10 mths now. Her gastroenterologist just switched her to similac alimentum. They gave her that in the hospital just recently when she was placed in the childrens hospital due to the fact she wasnt gaining any weight. Im not sure why but its working...she isn't fussy or colicky but ugh! its just so expensive. If you find it cheap let me know where or a different brand of it. At walmart its 24.07, at wegmans its 22 something and we just found it at toysrus at 19.99.

Wenner429
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM
I had WIC when my son was born so we got all of our formula for free. But when we'd run out, I'd go grab a thing of the generic and its the same. My ped would ask what formula he is on and I'd tell him the store brand or what not and they told me its all the same thing. Most of them have the comparision right on the label. At Costco you can get 2 big cans of there brand for like $20. That I know compares right on the label. With WIC we got Enfamil Lipil with iron. Just look at the labels. If you can save the money why not. Good luck
my2boys700
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:39 AM

I also use Parent's Choice, the walmart generic brand and absolutely love it!

katythemm
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:51 PM
I use Similac Advanced but I also used a generic brand a couple of times. I looked at the ingredients and one of the top ones was corn syrup! Basically that's sugar! So yes they have the same nutrients but I wouldn't feed my babies that! They cost less for a reason.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)