Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 2 1/2 year old has been exploring herself

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

When she doesnt have a diaper on she touches herself- just a few minutes ago I caught her sitting on the couch and opening her labia with her fingers. This is a normal thing, right? Please tell me it is, and how not to freak out about it.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stacy2607
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:07 PM

its ok mama...children are very curious..its completly normal..my girls did the same thing when they were lillte..and 2 of my sons that are 22 months and 3 1/2 do the same thing..i have caught my 3 1/2 yr old sitting on the couch playing with it and making it erect..they are just curious.

AshleyRiv
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:11 PM

Not sure if it's normal but my daughter does the same thing, she loves to take off her diaper and sometimes I'll catch her touching it....I don't know what to do about it

Photobucket
Photobucket
jonellg
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Totally normal.  As long as she's not doing it in public I wouldn't worry, she's just curious.  She'll forget about it as fast as she found it.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Ayla-bellesmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM

Totally normal.

I would say, that  some parents tend to discipline this behaviour out of embarassment, try not to, that can lead to serious problems with her sexulity (shame, guilt, feeling it's "wrong" etc) later on down the road. If it becomes a constant thing, I might have a "conversation" with her about when it is, and is not appropriate. For example, when people are over, if she wants to "explore" she should go to her bedroom.

Telesha
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:14 PM

Absolutely normal.

Are you married to a Redneck Country Boy? Are you darned proud of it? Join our new and forming group "Wives of Redneck Country Boys" !                                                                      

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)