Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I would love to hear your thoughts & stories : )

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am a mother of a beautiful baby boy and am expecting my second child in April.

I feel that baby changing stations should be required in all public restrooms at restaurants. I am in the process of setting up a nonprofit foundation which would work on improving these conditions. I have done a lot of research on this and found that a fold down changing station is generally under $200 and can easily fit into any restroom stall.

In hopes to put this into action I went to my local legislature, who suggested a couple different steps to me; however my representative has not made this a priority so I have decided to bypass this direction and bring my cause through my lawyer. To do so I would really like to hear other stories from parents who have had similar difficulties, the more proof I can bring to the table the better. I am aware that some of you may not have experienced situations such as this, but please try to relate to some of our stories. Taking action to fix these conditions is only beneficial for our babies.

I feel that there are very few places that cater to the needs of a baby and parent when it comes to changing diapers. At restaurants I have been offered a dirty floor or a tiny triangle table that I had to maneuver around to get my son to fit in a way where I could change him, but make sure his head did not dangle off.

I am absolutely aware that there are a lot of important issues going on in our country right now which are affecting all of us (and my prayers go out to everyone), I just passionately feel that this is an important issue for parents of young children. I know this will take time and patience but I am extremely dedicated to this cause.

Please message me your thoughts and stories, Thank you!

Shanney from California

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JamieLynn641
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM
I have had to change my daughters diapers on counter tops or in my laps in the middle of the restraunts not to put her on the floor. At times I have even had to go to car to change diapers. It is such an inconvience to do this but for the safety of my daughter I will do what I have to.
mommyofheaven
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:02 PM

totally agree I know whenever i go to the hospital with my daughter they have a changing station in the waiting room but none in the bathrooms back where the patients are and i think it is ridicoulous i dont want to change a stinky butt on a clean hospital bed

lilmomma92706
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 5:42 PM

This summer while my2 year old daughter and I were on my bike(her in the trailer) we stopped at Taco Bell/ KFC. The had no changing station, and I was lucky it was summer cause I ended up having to change her in the flower bed out front. It was a big poopy diaper and since they didn't have a proper place to change or dispose of diapers, I had no choice but to go back in the eating area and put the poopy diaper in the trashcan. It's the one right by the door so it would be the first and last thing anyone smelled. When I went to throw it away I looked right at a worker as she watched me do it and she made a really discuted face, I walked away giggling and smiling, wonder how they liked that!!!

jessicamomof1
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM

i hate going into places where there is no changing station i have went in places and there wasnt one so i used every single papertowel they had in the machine and placed it on the floor  it is unsanitary to lay your children on floors and some restrooms dont even carry papertowels what in the hell are we suppose to do lay our babies on the tables and i will b4 i lay them on a floor

Ferrari
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 6:50 PM

I've lost count of how many restaurants I've been to that don't have a changing station in the restrooms. I hate it. Especially if its supposed to be a family place. How can they consider themselves a family enviroment when they don't even offer any place to change your baby? If they don't have anything I usually take him out to the car to change unless its too cold out and then I'll try to find a nice warm spot inside to do it and use my changing pad.

1sttimemommy502
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:09 PM

I went to the dr the other day to get my incision checked and my daughter had a poopy diaper while we were there. I went into the bathroom and they had no pull down table so I had to use the floor. LUckily I had a changing pad with me other wise I would have used ALOT of their paper towels. You would think that in an OBGYN office they would have those pull down tables in their bathrooms!!!

extremelibrary
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:59 AM

I don't have a car, so that's not an option for me.

Quoting JamieLynn641:

I have had to change my daughters diapers on counter tops or in my laps in the middle of the restraunts not to put her on the floor. At times I have even had to go to car to change diapers. It is such an inconvience to do this but for the safety of my daughter I will do what I have to.

Extremelibrary

searl731
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM

I also wanted to do something like this I find it ridicules not to cater to parents. I use to drive from Wa state to CA to see my family at least once every other month. The rest area didn't have a changing station. It was so frustrating. I had to us the trunk of the car many times. No fun in the rain and cold. Also franchises like Taco Bell and Mcdonalds (sure there is more) do not offer them either.

Hope you can get something done.

Susie

virgo31
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:07 PM

We drove 45 mins. to eat at a Cold Stone Creamery.  Before going there, we stopped at a sub shop for lunch.  After eating, my husband looked down at our 3-mth.-old baby girl and realized she was FLOATING in poop in her carseat!  We frantically took her back to the only restroom, which was a large room with a toilet, sink, and urinal - NO changing table, no counter at the sink.  We literally had to lift her in the air to wipe her down and change her diaper that way.  Of course she was crying b/c she was so uncomfortable and it was a horrible experience.  I think that at least one small changing table ought to be required at all public places.  It's probably the same or less than all the ashtrays they had to keep and clean when smoking was allowed in public!

Chele1313
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:51 AM

Have been to a few places where i have had to use the counter top by the sink where people are trying to wash their hands, then i feel so bad i waste so many wipes to get the area cleaned again...I mean in this day and age where people take their kids everywhere it should be a bit more convenient...I like IKEA they seem to have it right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN