Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP....my baby has colick!!

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM
  • 24 Replies

Ok so this is my first child and she is 5 weeks. And she has just started the beginning signs of what I think is colick. She has being crying for 3 straight hours and nothing I do is helping. No matter how I hold her she continues to cry. I have tried cradling her, putting her on my shoulder, layig her on my lap and doing the bicycle with her legs. The binky doesn't help and neither does the swing. I eventually just put her into the crib and let her cry. I hate doing that but I didn't know what else to do. Does anybody have any advice for me?

feeding baby

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Short_N_Sassy
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I had that problem with my first child back in 1980.  I was up all night rocking him, bouncing him on my knees face down, patting him on the back, everything.  My dad got up at 5am to go to work and made him a bottle of baking soda and water.  I gave him that and he burped and went fast asleep.  I used that on all my kids and it works like a charm.  Here is what you do: 4 oz luke warm distilled water and get you a butter knife and stick it in the baking soda just enough to cover the very tip of the knife.  Shake well and give it to your baby.  The baby should release the bubble that is in the tummy and burp.  Good luck to ya mamma.  If it dont work, I suggest you call your pediatrition.  I love the old home remedies, its never seems to fail.  Keep me posted.  Btw...my son was only a couple of weeks old when I gave it to him.  

LYNN 

1sttimemommy502
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM

Thanks for the tip!! She is asleep now but when she wakes up I am going to try that. And I will keep you posted.

Quoting Short_N_Sassy:

I had that problem with my first child back in 1980.  I was up all night rocking him, bouncing him on my knees face down, patting him on the back, everything.  My dad got up at 5am to go to work and made him a bottle of baking soda and water.  I gave him that and he burped and went fast asleep.  I used that on all my kids and it works like a charm.  Here is what you do: 4 oz luke warm distilled water and get you a butter knife and stick it in the baking soda just enough to cover the very tip of the knife.  Shake well and give it to your baby.  The baby should release the bubble that is in the tummy and burp.  Good luck to ya mamma.  If it dont work, I suggest you call your pediatrition.  I love the old home remedies, its never seems to fail.  Keep me posted.  Btw...my son was only a couple of weeks old when I gave it to him.  

LYNN 

TLT1983
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 11:55 PM

MYLACON GAS DROPS! The best thing EVER!

kisarn02
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:03 AM

YOu need to learn the 5 "s";s, get the Happiest Baby on the Block book. You may think she doesn't like to be swaddled, but just try swaddling her VERY tight with a large blanket, rock her, bounce her, pacifier and shoosh or some kind of white noise. This really works with colicy babies. This all has to be done at the same time. I got so sick of standing and swaying with my son, but it does help them.

Hang in there, it does go away. Get some time to yourself, get others to take turns with her. and yes, if you need to to stay safe, put her down and go somewhere you can;t hear her and get a few minutes to relax and calm down, and prepare to go back and clam your baby down.

Kari3179
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:16 AM

Warm baths really helped calm my colicky baby and try different kinds of white noise (fans, dryer, they even make white noise cd's), the vaccuum is what worked for me.  I'd let it run for about 10 minutes and it soothed her.  It seems never ending but it does eventually go away.  Check w/the pediatrician too to make sure it's not acid reflux b/c they can put her on medicine for that.  And don't forget to accept help from family and friends that can give you a break. You will need it!

portakolis08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM

This is perfect advice also try adding lots of repetitive actions...like when you sing to her..sing the same verse 5 or 6 times. Pat her back in the same way. Make every movement very routine....and it eventually becomes soothing..(after a while)...for your sanity try getting a calender and marking the days off..that was one of the best things I could do...I knew at about 6 weeks he would smile, 8-9 weeks he would make more noises...things will get better it just takes a while...hang in there! And PM me anytime, if you get frustrated or just need someone to talk at...I have been there, so I know that it is beyond rough!

Quoting kisarn02:

YOu need to learn the 5 "s";s, get the Happiest Baby on the Block book. You may think she doesn't like to be swaddled, but just try swaddling her VERY tight with a large blanket, rock her, bounce her, pacifier and shoosh or some kind of white noise. This really works with colicy babies. This all has to be done at the same time. I got so sick of standing and swaying with my son, but it does help them.

Hang in there, it does go away. Get some time to yourself, get others to take turns with her. and yes, if you need to to stay safe, put her down and go somewhere you can;t hear her and get a few minutes to relax and calm down, and prepare to go back and clam your baby down.

mlbass
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:41 AM

I had the same problem with my youngest child. What work for me is placing her head again my bear chest and letting her hear my heart beat. It always seem to clam her down and let her go to sleep. Also placing her tummy on my legs and bouncing her up and down while patting her bottom. This seem to help her and her gas!!! Hang in there it is rough at first but will go away. Just remember to let someone help you in the middle of the night. Take turns and it won't be as bad. It is all worth it when you see that smiling face!!!!!

newmom2be08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Try some Mylicon for gas relief.  It worked wonders with our DS.  Also, make sure you are getting good burps after each feeding.  I know how you feel, we struggled with colic for almost 3 months.  Not fun at all, for baby or mommy and daddy!  Hang in there...it will get better. 

rskittle18
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Gripe water. My neighbors sister just told me when she brought her new born to the dr. she wanted a formula change because the baby was fussy and gassy and they put a warm cloth on his belly and he burped it all up and was better. Now I'm assuming you put the cloth over the clothes as you dont want to burn the child or have the cloth that hot. Use ur judgement and try it. Maybe it will help.

momameea
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:27 PM

our son also had colic. it is not fun for anyone. you feel bad for them but at the same time .....i mean for real ...........how much can a person take. day after day night after night. well we talked to the pediatrician and switched formula to alimentum. it was a miracle. no more colic almost immediately. we also used the gas drops. he said we could use them as often as we needed. we tried that gripe water and it worked well too. kind of expensive but then so is alimentum formula. WIC will pay for it but you need a RX from your DR, hope this helps. oh and we did all that stuff about holding them different ways and bouncing and the exercising their legs.. all of it but it was the formula change that made all the difference. good luck and hang in there. get help from anyone you can to get away for awhile. that does help too. take care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)