Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

HELP....my baby has colick!!

Ok so this is my first child and she is 5 weeks. And she has just started the beginning signs of what I think is colick. She has being crying for 3 straight hours and nothing I do is helping. No matter how I hold her she continues to cry. I have tried cradling her, putting her on my shoulder, layig her on my lap and doing the bicycle with her legs. The binky doesn't help and neither does the swing. I eventually just put her into the crib and let her cry. I hate doing that but I didn't know what else to do. Does anybody have any advice for me?

feeding baby

by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Replies (21-24):
momof3loves
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM

anytime my daughter had colick i cradled her in my arms and bounced on the side of the bed a bit with her tummy against me... the pressure and the bouncing helped her ... we also had some mylicon assistance... but only cause her colick was really really bad

fallentears1986
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM

The only thing that worked for my DD is gripe water. I tried mylicon and it didnt work. Gripe water is heaven sent. Sadly my DD is having a strain of colic at this moment and is screaming and crying. I just gave her some gripe water and waiting for it to take affect. I know it breaks your heart to hear them cry like that. I am almost in tears cause she sounds so horrible.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
momtorussell
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:47 AM

I think the previous mommy thought you were thinking the mom was trying CIO since you mentioned that.  I too thought that is what you meant.  Thanks for clarifying.

Quoting Danesmommy1:

I think that's what I said....

Elke

Quoting HipMama08:

I don't think she is talking about leaving the baby to cry for long periods of time. I think she is just talking about a few minutes to catch her breath and get herself together. I think it is perfectly fine to lay your baby in a safe place for 10 minutes or so. Babies can sense when their moms get overtired, upset or frustrated and this makes them more upset also. If mommy takes a 10 minute break to refresh herself, she will be better able to take care of baby and baby will feel better having a mommy who is able to feel refreshed and focus on her too.

Quoting Danesmommy1:

The "S"s from the HAppiest Baby on the Block really work! We swaddled our LO, we shooshed using white noise and swayed by rocking him. It simulates the environment of your womb.

I know what it's like to be frustrated and need a few minutes to get it together. Sometimes we get overwhelmed, but please don't let the baby cry. 5 weeks is way way to young for CIO.

Elke

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Ok, I can see that maybe I didn't express myself clearly.  Apologies to the OP.

Elke

Quoting momtorussell:

I think the previous mommy thought you were thinking the mom was trying CIO since you mentioned that.  I too thought that is what you meant.  Thanks for clarifying.

Quoting Danesmommy1:

I think that's what I said....

Elke

Quoting HipMama08:

I don't think she is talking about leaving the baby to cry for long periods of time. I think she is just talking about a few minutes to catch her breath and get herself together. I think it is perfectly fine to lay your baby in a safe place for 10 minutes or so. Babies can sense when their moms get overtired, upset or frustrated and this makes them more upset also. If mommy takes a 10 minute break to refresh herself, she will be better able to take care of baby and baby will feel better having a mommy who is able to feel refreshed and focus on her too.

Quoting Danesmommy1:

The "S"s from the HAppiest Baby on the Block really work! We swaddled our LO, we shooshed using white noise and swayed by rocking him. It simulates the environment of your womb.

I know what it's like to be frustrated and need a few minutes to get it together. Sometimes we get overwhelmed, but please don't let the baby cry. 5 weeks is way way to young for CIO.

Elke

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN