Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my baby is 3 weeks old now when is he supposed to recognize his parents?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son looks around but doesn;t seem to care what we say. He passed the hearing test at the hospital so I wonder if it is normal he doesn't respond to us yet. He sleeps no matter if there is noise or not. He will look into my eyes for a few seconds and keeps looking around...

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
newmom2be08
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM

3 weeks is too young for a baby to recognize his parents.  At that age they don't really engage with anyone.  After all, they really can't see well at 3 weeks of age.   Our DS is now 6 mos. old and stares right into my eyes, smiles at me, and responds to my voice.  I would think around 3-4 mos. he will begin engaging with you and then around 7-8 mos. he will become very fearful of strangers.  It's quite normal momma...you'll start to see big differences around 4 mos. 

yolanda1983
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:30 PM

I found this on a website thought it was interesting.... thought i'd share it with you.

Is my baby ready... …to recognize me?
The odds are great that baby will recognize your voice right after birth, but visual recognition typically takes several weeks. “You will know he recognizes you because your touch and your voice will soothe him better than anything else,” says Cellupica. By the time he’s six months, he’ll know it’s you or your partner when you are with him, and even when you’re not physically in the same room: One study published several years ago in the journal
Child Development showed three-month-old infants could recognize their mother’s and father’s faces in photos.

joyfullem
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I'm sure he can hear fine I wold take it as a blessing that he naps through noise!! 

ARMY WIFE?  COME AND JOIN OUR GROUP!!!!

stacymomof2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Well at 3 weeks they just basically eat, sleep and poop.  They don't pay attention to who does it for them!  He will start noticing you after a couple more weeks, it's completely normal!

frndlyfn
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Some babies find noise soothing so it helps them sleep better. Think of it this way, when he was in womb he heard your heart beat and whatever else was going on. The recognition will take a few months since at 3 weeks his eyes are probably still not clear enough to see you but he knows your voice.

hot_momma88
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Oh honey don't be worried. Right now he can barely see 6in infront of his face. Everything is just blurs of black white and grey. I think they say like 2 months is when you'll notice your LO responding to your voice and they can see some colors and like 2 feet from them.

As for the being able to sleep even if it's noisy, that's how babies cope with noise. If it gets too loud, they just go to sleep. They are like preprogramed to block out loud noises so that they don't get startled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)