Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Thank God for Health Insurance..

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just wanted to say after picking up my sons Synagis medication (monthly shots during the winter to help prevent severe RSV again) I am very grateful and thankful for the great health insurance we have. I have to work for my family to have it and most times it leaves me frustrated that is has to be like this, but today I am glad that we only have to pay $30 for a $4,000 medication. That will save us over $26,000 this winter. Well if we have to pay the whole amt or even like 10% we couldn't do it. So I am glad he can get his medication and hopefully not be so sick this winter.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
darbie2008
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM

yes health insureance is great...nad urs its well beyond great :) i just wish everyone could afford health insureance

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:59 PM

My medication would cost us thousands of dallors every month if we weren't insured.  It is a blessing.   I hope your LO makes it through this winter healthy and happy!

Elke

mamaof32007
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:19 PM

that is great you have good health insurance, our twins were 29 weekers (sept 2007) they got the synages shots last year.  our ins paid every penny, Military insurance, but the price you gave does not sound right at all.  we were told at our nicu that the price per shot was 1500.00.  the twins got the shots in the hospital before they came home.  then the rest at the hospital.  Do you have to give them the shot?  that wouldnt be right, since your baby has to be weighed then they adjust the dosage to the childs weight.  our twins will not get the shots this year since they are over 20 pounds. 

kisarn02
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM

I was told they are about $1,000 per shot also, but my pharmacy puts the price on the ticket that it would be without insurance and that is where the 4K was written. It is also so much more b/c my son is 27mo old and 27lbs. He get synagis b/c when he was 6mo he had a very severe case of RSV that has left him with continued problems since. He is still on nebulizer tx and other medications. So he qualified for shots again this year due to his history. I  don;t think he would qualify next year. I hate the shots. Last year they were done at a clinic and this year a home health nurse is coming to our house, I could give them b.c I am a nurse but I do not want to. So she comes and yes weighs him.  He has to get almost two full vials.

I am glad your twins didn't get RSV, it is awful and I knew it was bad at the time but I didn;t know it could damage and leave lasting problems.  His oxygen level dropped into the 70's on room air, he was on oxygen for 2 weeks and in the hospital for two days, he was listless and grayish on the worst day, couldn't even hold his head up anymore he was working so hard to breath.

I wish everyone could have health insurance wihtout working for a company that offers it. I have to work to get it for my family. My husband works for himself so buying private insurance isn;t really a possibility right now. Maybe soon this country will have better options.

Quoting mamaof32007:

that is great you have good health insurance, our twins were 29 weekers (sept 2007) they got the synages shots last year.  our ins paid every penny, Military insurance, but the price you gave does not sound right at all.  we were told at our nicu that the price per shot was 1500.00.  the twins got the shots in the hospital before they came home.  then the rest at the hospital.  Do you have to give them the shot?  that wouldnt be right, since your baby has to be weighed then they adjust the dosage to the childs weight.  our twins will not get the shots this year since they are over 20 pounds. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN