Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I'm so sad! Don't know how to deal.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm just so sad right now. I just got off the phone with my baby girl's Dr. and Nurses. We had a conference call so the Dr. could update me on her progress which I already knew most of because I ask constantly. She was born on the 13th and is 5 weeks premature. She had a little lung prematurity and was on oxygen for a few days. She has been off of that for a couple of days now. She is doing well, the only thing she has to work on now is eating from the bottle and not using the tube. I am not worried about her health because I know she is dong great but I am just so sad because I want her home with me. The dr. said this morning that she would probably be in the NICU for another week or so, so that means I won't have her home for Christmas unless she comes home that day. I just can deal with this. You would think that I would be happy that she's at least doing well but I am so lost without her. It's hard for me to see her more than once a day because I have 3 other kids and one vehicle and my husband works at 5am!!  They want me to try to be there for as many of her feedings as I can to get her to start eating from the bottle more. This will be tricky because of the kids and transportation. I'm just so upset. I understand she needs to be there until she is completely ready to go home but I can't help but feel this way.

by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MomOf2Boys913
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM

My little guy was born 8+ weeks early and spent 4 weeks in the NICU (after I spent 12 weeks in the hospital) in ANOTHER STATE. I have another son who was 2 at the time. I was forturnate enough to spend everyday with my little guy while he was in the NICU but also felt lost because of my son at home who'd I'd been away from for 4 months. It was very hard. Especially sitting in my hotel, or my room at the Ronald McDonald House alone ... and having to get up and pump (I was breast feeding) every 3 hours while trying to recover. I know exactly how you feel. But soon enough your little one will be home with you. Kids are amazing and unpredictable, maybe your family will be complete for Christmas afterall. Don't lose faith. If not, just remember all the Christmas' you'll have the chance to share together in the future. Hope you get to feeling better!

hugs

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM

I'm so sorry!!  I didn't have a premie but my son was in the NICU for several days after his birth.  It was so scary and frustrating.  He also had a feeding tube for awhile.  He had a hard time with the suck reflex.  I know that the was attended to by very caring and competent doctors and nurses.  I took some comfort in that.  I hope your LO gets to come home in time for Christmas!

Elke

mamaof32007
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM

my twins were 11 weeks early, they spent six and seven weeks in the nicu, my older son turned 15 months the day after they were born.  he was five weeks early, no nicu though.  we went through alot during our stay at the nicu, but you can never really go by what they tell you about the stay.  they told us they wouldnt come home till there due date, they came home before, they would tell us oh he will go home tomorrow, the next day would come and he/she would not get to go home.  but then all of a sudden we would be told one of them gets to go home!  then the next week the other came home!  Hopefully dshe is home for Christmas!

tigerlily08
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I know what you are going through, my daughter was born 8 weeks early and had to stay in the NICU for 2 months and 5 days. Except unlike you going what it sounds like to be once a day I was only able to go see my daughter 3 times a week at the most because I live in a small town and the closest NICU was 120 miles away. We tried to get a room at the Ronald McDonald house but because of me being 19 my husband and I couldn't stay unless my mom stayed with us and there was no chance of that happening because my mom left my brother and I a few years ago. Also we couldn't afford to stay in a hotel or anything. It was very hard only getting to see my daughter 1-3 times a week for 2 months, I hated having to leave her every time.  I hated that other people got to see my daughter more than I did. They called everyday that we didn't come down there with updates which was helpful. My daughter had issues with sucking and had to be sent home on a feeding pump. They changed her date to come home 4 times before they actually sent her home but I was so glad when she finally got home. 2 weeks after she got home she pulled the feeding tube out of her nose and we decided we would wait until she needed to put it back it and from that point on she didn't need it. Anyways, I hope your daughter gets to come home for Christmas. If you need anyone to talk to you can pm me.

good luck

lverdone
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Hugs!  Sorry you are going through this.  Its hard to go through it - my cousins daughter was born 13 weeks early and was in the NICU for 2 months, then in and out for another few months - and it was over Christmas too. 

Hang in there, it will get better and sounds like shes doing great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)