Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

8weeks old has a stuffy nose!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

what can i do to help my 8 week old son with his stuffy nose? i have one of those blue suck things n it does get alot of snot  but he is still stuffy.n he coughs when he sucks in thru his nose. help! im a new mom! and i dont know what to do!

by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
penelope60
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:53 AM

Good morning Amanda,

With your baby just being 8 weeks old, it is not much you can do except the nasal bulb. You may have to get your MD to prescribe a decongestant  to help shrink the nasal membranes. Do not use and Over the Counter medication unless your MD suggest its. Do you have a vaporizer or humidifer? These help some.

LIFE IS NOW====LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 9:41 AM

I would recommend turning the shower on hot, then bring the baby into the bathroom to breathe in the steam.  It can help break things up.  I know that there Vick's makes a rub for babies, but I don't know if 8 weeks is even too young for the baby formula.  Put it on the soles of your LO feet, if the age recommendation allows.  I also use a humidifer when my son was congested. 

elke

jenerica
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Really for a tiny baby of only 8 weeks, this type of thing is more of a worry for you than a problem for the baby.  My dd still coughs when I use the nose sucker on her and she's 10 mo!

Does your baby have tummy troubles?  Sometimes that can lead to nasal congestion. 

And BTW, Vick's Baby Rub is for babies 3 mo and older.

lori822
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM

Try a cool mist humidifier in the baby's room to moisten the air it helps while they sleep. Just keep suctioning the nose thats really all you can do.

Sheribabie
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

try using a saline spray..its perfectly fine to use that for babies that young..its not like the regular nasal sprays..

KerrieShaffer
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:27 PM

For our DD we use a warm mist humidifier (she's not moving so no risk of her dumping hot water on herself) because it warms and moistens the air.  We also use the saline spray to soften anything in her nose.  Put some drops up her nasal passage, wait a bit, then suction out with the bulb.

karleigh25
by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 11:57 AM

My 2 month old had a stuffy nose also.  I bought a cold mist humidifier for his room and it has helpeda lot.

k

Bobcatvalley
by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 12:33 PM

cold mist humidifer and saline drops in the nose.  make sure you squeeze the snot sucker before you put it in the nose so you wont bring on the gag reflex. 

Franchesca

Comer, GA

Isaac and Destiny's momlittle flower

Bobcatvalley
by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM

steam showers work good too.  I get mine in the shower.  turn it completely hot (making sure there is no way the water can get on the baby, aim the head down, and I nurse her in the shoer so she is breathing just through the nose to loosen the stuff up

Quoting Danesmommy1:

I would recommend turning the shower on hot, then bring the baby into the bathroom to breathe in the steam.  It can help break things up.  I know that there Vick's makes a rub for babies, but I don't know if 8 weeks is even too young for the baby formula.  Put it on the soles of your LO feet, if the age recommendation allows.  I also use a humidifer when my son was congested. 

elke

kmommy1977
by on Dec. 20, 2008 at 10:21 PM

My son had the same problem at his age. I just use a humidifier in his room. It cleared it up overnight. I like the warm mist-I just turn the fan on in his room for "winter"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)