Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!! my almost 6 month old throws screaming fits

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM
  • 6 Replies

Lately he's been waking up screaming for what seems like no reason. His two bottom teeth have already poked through the skin could they still be bothering him? Even when I pick him up he still screams unless I stand up and go into the bathroom with the light on so he can see himself in the mirror does he then quiet down. I'm worried it's something else thats wrong with him. I'm about to move out of state in 2 weeks and have no time to see a doctor thanks to the holidays. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be wrong with him?

by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jenC1978
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:48 AM

It could be gas.  You can give him some Mylecon drops to see if that helps?

lostmarbles0520
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

My son is 5 months old, and he throws those screaming fits, too. In his case, all he wants to do is be held! He's soooo spoiled. It's gotten to the point that if he is in his excersaucer/swing and can see me, he's screaming to be held. Once I pick him up, he's fine. That kinda sounds like your son. My Zach is teething, as well, he's had his bottom 2 teeth for 2 months now, and his top 2 are almost through. But when he stops crying because you picked him up, that's spoiled. Nothing against you, because my son is spoiled too! The only way we're getting through it is the CIO method. I know alot of moms hate that, but it works. We put him in his swing, face it so that he can't see us on the couch (toward the tv, not like the wall or anything!) and he cries. He cries until his voice is crackley and he has real tears...til he gags himself and coughs. But after about 5 minutes, he stops crying and he's fine. He realizes that he's fine where he is, without DH or I holding him. Of course, I only let him cry when I know he's been fed and he has a dry diaper.

SamanthaAgain
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM

My son has gone through a phase or two like that already.  I think that at this age they are starting to realize that sometimes we go away, and it scares them.  IMO, there is no such thing as a spoiled infant.  If he needs me to hold him, then that's what I'll do.  I want him to learn that I'll be there for him when he needs me, not that I'll sit there and let him cry when he's scared.  When he gets older, I want him to be able to play by himself without worrying that I'm going to disapear on him, I want him to know that if he needs me, I'll be there.  (Same goes with DH, since he watches DS while I work)  Some moms like the CIO method, and I don't bash on them, but I just can't imagine sitting there listening to my baby cry until he gags.  There's no way.  I could never do it.  Ever.

Now there is a difference between crying and whining.  Sometimes I'll let him whine.  And of course I'll let him cry if I'm in the middle of cooking something that I can't leave, or if I have shampoo on my hair.  But IMO letting them actually cry only teaches them that I won't be there for them, and that's not something I ever want him to think.

As for what else could be causing it, has he had any shots in the last few days?  My DS had a reaction to his 4 month DTaP and just screamed for 2 1/2 days.  It was horrible.

aarkat
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I'm the same way myself.  Crying is a babys means of communication, and I feel that not answering the cries teaches the child that you will not answer their call when they need help.  It is a breakdown in communication.

Maybe your baby is afraid of the dark, or working on more teeth.

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

My son has gone through a phase or two like that already.  I think that at this age they are starting to realize that sometimes we go away, and it scares them.  IMO, there is no such thing as a spoiled infant.  If he needs me to hold him, then that's what I'll do.  I want him to learn that I'll be there for him when he needs me, not that I'll sit there and let him cry when he's scared.  When he gets older, I want him to be able to play by himself without worrying that I'm going to disapear on him, I want him to know that if he needs me, I'll be there.  (Same goes with DH, since he watches DS while I work)  Some moms like the CIO method, and I don't bash on them, but I just can't imagine sitting there listening to my baby cry until he gags.  There's no way.  I could never do it.  Ever.

Now there is a difference between crying and whining.  Sometimes I'll let him whine.  And of course I'll let him cry if I'm in the middle of cooking something that I can't leave, or if I have shampoo on my hair.  But IMO letting them actually cry only teaches them that I won't be there for them, and that's not something I ever want him to think.

Danesmommy1
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM

I don't believe you can spoil an infant.  CIO is not the only way, imo.  Sometimes when I'm working in the kitchen, Dane stands at the baby gate and cries for my attention.  I make eye contact with him every few seconds and I talk to him, pretty much I just babble or talk about what I'm doing.  This way he doesn't feel ignored and I stay engaged with him. 

Elke

DeRonnsMommy
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM

he could be getting more teeth, they just receed back into the gums. Or else, yeah, he is spoiled (mine is having a fit right now) When he doesnt get what he wants, he screams, throws stuff, i mean the temper is bad. Then gets mad when he throws it.  Mine is just being a boy...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)