Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Karo syrup for constipation?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

My little guy sometimes squirms and pulls his legs up and grunts and groans while in his bassinet...he doesnt full out cry usually... just some shrieks like he is in pain..... it seems to mostly be around bedtime or in the mornings.... It almost seems like he is constipated..... his spit up has increased too.....

the nurse said to try 1 tbsp karo syrup in 4 oz of water a day to naturally soften his stool.. anyone try this?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Hallmomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:03 PM

ive used this before.  You could also try a nice warm bath or a warm wash towel on his belly. Also, gas drops are great.  Is he pooping?  If he is, and its balls, then he is most likely constipated....How old he is? 

Hallmomma
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:05 PM

OK, 1 month old....I would try the gas drops for sure and some good belly time.  Baths, and with the spit up,  I would try burping more often, every 1 or 2 oz to make sure you get all the air out.  You may also need to change bottles if you use them. 

mama2mycuties
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM

How often is your baby having stools? some babies can go up to 3 days without having a bm......but yes the karo syrup will work, the dark kind, it wont make baby go if they dont have too it will just soften the stool so its not as hard.........other than the nurse did you discuss it with your ped? make sure if the problem continues you have them check it out.....when my oldest son was an infant he had a rectal fissure which caused his constipation, we had to massage his rectum in order for him to have a bm :(

kganly
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:31 PM

He has at least one bm a day... and it's not balls but it is really thick at times.... I'm wondering if it's more of a reflux problem...

aasneaky6
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:40 PM

My little one has alot of gas. What helps him is I mix Mylicon in his bottle (safe to use almost every feeding and will not constipate) and I purchased Dr. Brown's bottles (they are a little expensive but are worth it, a set is $20 at Walmart) and burp every ounce to ounce and a half. If not, he screeches and you can hear his little tummy gurgle with gas. Just a suggestion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)