Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what can you give a three month old?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM
  • 7 Replies

my son is almost three months and hes got a head cold. no fever, just really congested with a hoarse voice..hes almost 12lbs. if that means anything. ive tried the nasal asperator but it doesn't help.

any suggestions??

I am Mandah.

BEHOLD!

I'm a breastfeeding, no CIO, co-sleeping, vaccinating, young mom to the coolest baby boy; Xander. (He gets the cool gene from his mother.)

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
portakolis08
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM

there is nothing you can do in the form of meds but wait it out and take him to the doctor if he gets a fever above 105. Give him plenty of fluids..try buying something called "Little Noses Saline"..squirt it in his nose then use the nasal aspirator..Also you can give him tylenol...and if he is crying give him a couple of drops of mylecon...this will prevent the air he sucks in from crying from turning into gas belly pains.

Keep him in a cool, dim, and soothing room with maybe the kids (Noggin, or Nick Junior) channel on low on the TV.

MyLittleJoshua
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM

You shouldn't give any cold medication to a child under the age of 2. Talk to your child's pediatrician,  I guarantee you that she is going to tell you no cold medications.  Try a cool mist humidifier when you put him to sleep and see if that helps. You can also try a vapor bath, johnson and johnson makes a baby vapor bath.  You could even take him in the bathroom, shut the door, turn on the hot water, hold her in your lap and let it get real steamy and he'll breath in the steam and maybe that will clear up some congestion. I hope this helps, if you need anymore help feel free to email me any time you need, I know its hard to see your baby suffer and not be able to give him any cold medication.

SamanthaAgain
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM

My older sd brought home a cold from school when the baby was 2 months old.  It was horrible.  There's just so little you can do for them.  Like a pp said, saline drops with the booger sucker (our family name lol) is one of the only things.  You can also get chest rub for babies, that helps a lot.  A lot of mamas swear by putting the rub on the baby's feet and then covering them with socks.  A humidifier in his room will help too, but be sure to keep it clean or it can breed bacteria and give him an infection.

Really it's best to avoid medication if you can.  If his apetite drops or his fever gets too high, then take him in.  But if he can fight it off himself then it's best.  My ds has skipped over three more colds that hit our house since then without a single symptom

Sarah51905
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I would call the pediatrition, beacause my cousin at that age had the same thing and he told the mother to give her like .04 ml or something or another of an over the counter cold medicine for infants and toddlers. So call your pediatrition and he can tell you what to give the baby and exactly how much. You don't want to give them anything that could be harmful or too much on them. If nothing else you can get a vicks vapor thing that puts it off in the air to help the little one breath better. If you can't afford to buy one then just get the liquid oil that you use in the humidifiers in the pharmacy area and put a little in a pot of water and let it boil and the heat will vaporize and go into the air into the room and help the little one breath better. Another thing, I'm not sure what age they have to be so check first but you can get infants vicks vapor rub and put a little on their chest to help them breath better. Also you can take and lather it on their feet and inbetween their toes and on the tops of their feet really good, don't be stengy with it lol, then cover their feet with socks and it helps them breath better and keeps them from coughing and stuff, it worked for many I know, myself, and my son. Good luck. Just remember check on how old they have to be before using Vicks vapor rub(Infants).

aasneaky6
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM

My 2 month old got his shots and he weighed 11 lbs 14 oz. The dr. okayed 0.8ml of Infants Tylenol for fever and or discomfort. But as far as stuffy nose...I would get saline drops and use the nasal bulb as much as possible. I am going thru the same thing....Mine has a stuffy nose right now. I just put in some saline drops...suction until clear...and add a couple more drops so his nose doesn't get super dry. And put in a humidifier in his room just incase you haven't.

jennmarie77
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I would use a humidifier in his room during naps and also at night.  It will help greatly.  Also, elevate his matress a bit and it will help also.

Danesmommy1
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM

You can also try running the shower really hot and taking him in the bathroom to breath in the steam.  They also make baby Vicks, rub a little bit on the bottom of his feet.

Elke

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)