Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheerleading??? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let her?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

If your 5 year old daughter came to you and said she wanted to be a cheerleader would you let her??? Heres why i am ask i was just reading something that a lady had wrote and she said she told her 5 year old no beause she feels that it plants in girls heads that boys are more important then girls because girls are cheer on the boys what do you guys think? would you let your 5 year old be a cheer leader?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrandonsWifey08
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I would say hell yes. I was a cheerleader and it taught me team work and it was really good for me and i was good at it. Its not an easy sport and yes i said it was a sport and IT IS! Cheerleaders practice just as much if not more than the football players they get hurt just like any sport and usually cheer leading coaches are tougher and expect more from you as far as good grades and doing right. I know your talking about your 5yr old but starting her out now will only help her in the long run.. Also, my advice get her in tumbling it'll pay off and shes less likely to get hurt when shes a teenager. And if she doesnt like it then she can always get out of it. :)

lilmomma92706
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I would let her for sure. I was a cheerleader all through middle and high school and some of college. I actually wnet to Hawaii to cheer in the Hula Bowl which is televised a few years ago. Because I was an All American Team member through NCA! It is a dangerous sport, but a very great sport overall!

Are you a mama who is a sister Of Epsilon Sigma Alpha International. If so, join my group here.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/ESAintl

shell1m
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:04 AM

sure why not?  If she chooses later to drop it, then stand by her next chose. No, I was NOT a cheerleader, and quite frankly I was picked on for 13 years by cheerleaders.  But I think if you make it more about TEAM effort than popularity, then I think she'll be just fine.  Hope she has fun......:)

Danesmommy1
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:19 AM

I was a cheerleader when I was little.  It was in a Youth League and it was really fun.  I had a great time.  We learned sportsmanship and the rewards of hard work.  It was a great way to have fun and exercise.

Elke

mamaellie1979
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:38 AM

my oldest girls are cheerleaders my dd katie is a (for lack of a better work man in girls clothing) she plays sports, hockey, basketball, baseball on the team with her twin brother Chris, and Tilly is a girly girl she just started taking dance classes

Ellie Loving wife to Louie, Mom to teenagers Aidan (15), Maddie & Lexxie (13); preteen Jacob (11); big kids, Katie & Chris (9), Tilly (7), Caleb (5); newborns James & Jane (7-29-08); I'm due with baby number 11 on 1 september 2009; i survived teenage parenthood!!! yes, you read right i have 3 sets of twins; i'm going to be a grandma! Aidan and Franchesca (his fiancee) are due in spring of 2009; It's a GIRL, Arabella Louise.

Isaiahsmommy329
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I voted yes.  I was a cheerleader throughout high school.  We lead summer camps for the little ones and they really seemed to enjoy it.  It teaches teamwork and good leadership skills, along with helping self esteem and to have passion in something.  I know she is only 5! 

baby in slingIsaiah Avery 03.29.08

kyfiregirl
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM

well i am sorry but whatever you read i personally feel that woman was very sexist in her own way! i have one daughter that absolutely loves cheerleading and enjoys the competetiveness of it and the skill as well as the actual cheering. its not just about cheering for the player(which arent just boys anymore) its about working as a team to write and complete the cheers it about making friends with girls that you will learn to trust and care for very much. you practice and cheer for games and you practice to do the competetions! its a lot of fun and if it what she wants then i say there is nothing wrong with it! i never wanted to personally do it i was a swimmer but i have learned a lot with my daughters interest!

i also have one that loves soccer and gymnastics and she works just as hard as her sister to be skillful andlearn plays and to get ready for games. they help each other practice!

its sports plain and simple and can be wonderful for kids no matter what variety they choose to participate in! good luck!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

oxley12
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I said no because i was a cheerleader for yeas and it was VERY hard on my body.  Maybe not at a young as like 5...but the older i got and more competetive it got the harder and more demanding it got on my body.  I would much rather my daughter do a sport that wasnt so demanding on her body. 

Sofie-Fatale
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:57 PM

at age 5 yes---- YES

when she starts school- NO!!!

When i worked as a teacher, the cheerleaders were always the ones who were VERY preoccupied with other matters (mostly the social things that come with being a cheerleader) and NOT AT ALL CONCERNED WITH SCHOOL

mommygeorge03
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM

My DD is 5 and is going to start cheerleading next week. It is not through the school system. It is through were she takes gymnastics, it is competitive cheerleading. It has nothing to do with boys. They don't cheer at ball games or anything, they practice and then go to competitions. I was a cheerleader when I was growing up and it taught me about team work and discipline. She decided that she wanted to be a cheerleader so I found a squad, and should she decide that she doesn't want to do it anymore then I will stand behind her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)