Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Television (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you let your little one(s) watch television?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

I know the the American Academy of Pediatrics does NOT recommend ANY television for kids 2 & under.  My son's exactly 11 months old (tomorrow) & DH & I put him in his playpen & let him watch Yo Gabba Gabba, Jack's Big Music Show, & The Backyardigans. 

We do this for a little while to get household things done, but we also play with him & he has plenty of interaction with his big brother.  I'm not looking for any drama whatsoever.  It seems any question you ask these days sparks some controversy - so I'm hoping we can all be non-judgemental & civil here. 

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kallynsmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM

My daughter will be 8 months soon...I do the same thing. I bring her to work with me everyday and to give myself a little time in the a.m. to shower, get dresses, pack the diaper bag I put on her favorite movie, finding Nemo. She loves the colors. I know what your saying though it's not like I sit her in front of it all day bc i'm too busy...it's just our little helper. You have my support, LOL ......Oh yeah and the AAP and the ped tell you lots of things but there not there when your trying to mop your floor or wash you hair, your the mom and you wouldn't do anything to harm or hurt your child. You know your child and their limits. I'm not gunna lie my daughter slept in her carseat some night b/c she wouldn't sleep anywhere else, she just fine today!

Meg...aka Kallyn's Mom -- 33 6/7 wks 3lbs9oz --- 05/31/2008...."I may be the mom to a preemie, but I rather think of myself as the mom to a miracle."   

My Other URLs: myspace.com/megstu04 

fallentears1986
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM

My DD is almost 4 months old and when I hold her she will sometimes just stare at the TV. I dont think she is really "watching" it as we think of it. That said The reason the pediatricians dont like LO watching TV is because it can supposedly mess with their neurological development. I dont know how much I believe that. I really dont know what I'm gonna do when my LO is old enough to watch TV. I'll have to think about it.

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
joesmomma1
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM

my son is almost 16 months and he watched tv since he was 2 months .i use the tv to distract my son while i'm runnig around cleaning the house, cooking dinner or taking a shower.I'll always put a elmo movie in or have him watch the sprout channel.i' like him to watch educational stuff.The AAP says alot of stuff that parents don't follow.you're the parent you can decided whats best for you're child.

Mama_Dev
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Thanks so much ladies for your responses.  The whole issue got brought up b/c my FIL was talking to DH trying to make him feel bad that DS watches tv.  Nevermind that DH's dad was NEVER around when he was young & basically was a shitty father to him, lol.  I don't suppose my FIL read up on what the AAP thinks of THAT.  =P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)