Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work vs. staying home

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM
  • 125 Replies

Did you intend on being a SAHM after your baby was born, but had to go back to work due to unforeseen circumstances?  Has the recent economy affected your decision to work versus stay at home at all?

~The CafeMom Team~

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM

I intended on being a SAHM, but I decided to return to work early due to a great job opportunity.

I still consider becoming a SAHM in the future, but the uncertain state of the economy has me very thankful to have a job I like.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I fully intended to be a SAHM, but I did happen upon  job that I could do from home, so now I do that.  I do work full time, but still get to SAH, so I get a little of both worlds really.

The economy has me slightly concerned, but not entirly worried and doesn't really influence my choice to stay at home or not.  But I am pretty greatful to have the oppertunity I do.

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I really wanted to be a sahm, but my husband has not had steeady employment for almost 2 years now & with the economy though he has tried he has not found a full time job so now I go to work & he is a stay at home dad & my daughter is thriving with him instead of stuck @ daycare.  As tough as it is to be the sole support right now (he does work odd jobs & contributes when he can) I am happy that at least one of us is at home with the baby :)in love

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I wanted to return back to work.  I didnt necessarily want to work full-time but I have a great job.  But my husband works evenings part-time and stays at home with the kids during the day.  right now, with the economy, I can make more money doing what I do versus his experience.  And better hours.  I dont mind supporting the family though.  My husband has done this for years and it makes no difference.  Although i would love to be at home with my girls more often. 

by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I intended to stay home and try to always be their for my children as much as possible. I still am a SAHM, but Will be launching my online business soon. I don't plan on ever being too occupied by work. If my kids have a game I want to be there for them as much as possible.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:03 PM

After I had my son I decide to go back to work because I would give some time to myself and be around adults to talk to but also make some extra money. But now I'm back to being a sahm because the job I was at was only seasonal part time, so as right now I will be sahm until I found another part time job,

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I have always know that I wanted to be a stay at home mom at least until the kids are in school.  Since the economy is so bad I have been forced to go to work early and I don't like it my youngest is only 10 months old and I wish I was at home with him every day.  Hopefully soon things will get better and I can go back to staying at home with my children.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Yes, my hubby and I planned for me to be a SAHM for at least the first year after we had our daugher.  I had my oldest daughter in '05 and went back to work through part of '06 & '07.  Then we got pregnant w/ our 2nd daughter and planned for me to stay home w/ her as well.  She is now 10 mos. old and we are starting to talk about me going back to work.  Especially with the economy the way it is.  I don't mind either way but I did always know I wanted to be a SAHM, my mom was always home with me when I was a baby.  I'm not sure exactly when or if I even will go back to work but if we have more kids my husband and I both agree that I'll stay home for the 1st yr. and longer if possible.   

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I've managed to do both, over the years. I'll be going back to work, but my husband is going to be a SAHD!!!  :)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I am pretty much sahm my husband is a teacher and i am a sub,  It is very flexible and i enjoy it alot.  I am going to have to sub more to help my husband out. I love staying home with Jeremiah it is so much fun.  I am also going to school online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)