Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why doesn't she like baths anymore?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
So my little one is 15 months and she used to LOVE bathtime. She loved it so much to the point of where she would cry as soon as I would take her out. But as she's been getting older she cries as soon as we put her into the bathtub. I was thinking maybe she's scared of how it feels when the water drips down her face after we wash off her hair.

Any advice to make it easier for her? Has anybody else experienced this with their little one(s)? Any HELPFUL advice or even a bump would be greatly appreciated.

♥ Steph
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charmelin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:02 PM

My son went through a stage at about a year where he cried every time he was in the bath tub. This last about a month or two and then he loved them again like he did before the stage. I think they just go through a stage where they hate baths for whatever reason.

DanceInTheRain
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM

My oldest daughter went through the same thing at about 15 months too.  I bought her a foam visor (you can get them at craft stores, I think Walmart too) to wear while I washed her hair.  It didn't necessarily keep all the water off her face, but she thought it was fun.  I also would color the water with food coloring!  She was so busy watching the water change colors that she never knew I was washing her hair.  The food coloring is safe, it won't dye their skin.  I still use that trick now when I bathe my two oldest ones :)

Connie

baby girl        girl on a swing blowing bubbles
Hailey Christine      Bridget Lindsey     Faith Elizabeth    
    12/12/08                  07/05/06                  11/06/03                        

lilmomma4
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM

For one of my sons who is now 3, he didn't like hair washing.Instead of pouring a cup out on his head I bought a sprayer that attaches to the tub faucet and set the water on low and told him it's raining. It takes a little bit to rinse everything out, but he stopped hating his baths.

www.myspace.com/lilmisstink78

beautifulinlove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Quoting DanceInTheRain:

My oldest daughter went through the same thing at about 15 months too.  I bought her a foam visor (you can get them at craft stores, I think Walmart too) to wear while I washed her hair.  It didn't necessarily keep all the water off her face, but she thought it was fun.  I also would color the water with food coloring!  She was so busy watching the water change colors that she never knew I was washing her hair.  The food coloring is safe, it won't dye their skin.  I still use that trick now when I bathe my two oldest ones :)

Thanks for your input, putting food coloring in the water sounds like a fun idea. I've seen those foam visors but I wasn't too sure how well they would work and if she would keep it on her head. But that's another thing that I'll give a try.
beautifulinlove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Quoting lilmomma4:

For one of my sons who is now 3, he didn't like hair washing.Instead of pouring a cup out on his head I bought a sprayer that attaches to the tub faucet and set the water on low and told him it's raining. It takes a little bit to rinse everything out, but he stopped hating his baths.

Aw how cute. That sounds like something worth trying.

Thanks!
beautifulinlove
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM
anybody else have any tips to tell of how they have dealt with a similar situation? :]
Bobcatvalley
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM

It could just be a separation anxiety issue.  They grow out of it.

Franchesca

Comer, GA

Isaac and Destiny's momlittle flower

Bobcatvalley
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM

You could also just get in the tub with your LO. That works too.

Franchesca

Comer, GA

Isaac and Destiny's momlittle flower

jossie.marie
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 5:49 AM

my son went through this stage, and is only just getting over it, (hes two) i found that getting him involved in bathtime prepation helped, what i mean by this is when i went shopping i would let him pick bubble bath, and sponges, and even once a week a small new toy for the bath, this made it more exciting for him because he wanted to use thes things, and was almost desprate for his night time bath so that he got to try them.

it worked really really well and he now loves baths again.

hope this helps ((((((hugs))))))) joss.

pagan 1

ConnorsMommy521
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Maybe a new toy.  My son likes baths but would never request one until I bought this foam stuff.  Now he's like, I'm dirty, I need a bath.  I got it at walmart.  Just find something fun for the tub.  ONly let him play with it in the tub.  Oh, check teh water temp too, my son also takes what I would consider a cool bath.  I like it scalding hot, he is like his dad, cool water for him. 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)