• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rapid Breathing

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM
  • 2 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with their newborns having rapid breathing or periodic rapid breathing?  Please share if you do.  My daughter started doing this on Friday...she is just 5 weeks old.  Our doctor said once/if she hits 60-80 breaths per minute, we need to page her.  I am not sure why Peyton is having these problems.  It appears when she is awake, its almost like she is aggitated and starts breathing this way.  When she is sleeping, she is normal!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
rlemde
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Check to see if her chest is heaving (skin being pulled in when she inhales)--that's a sign that it might be a more serious problem to to go down to the hospital/call her doc to make sure. (My son got pneumonia when he was 4 months old, not 5 weeks obviously, but he had troublesome, rapid breathing and a heaving chest. It was scary, but he's ok. He's 6 now so it's been a while).

Hallmomma
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM

That is retraction right?  I was reading about it, and I noticed her chest doing it the first night she started breathing funny, and that was her worst.  We finally had a peaceful evening tonight.  The weird thing is, she has no cold symptoms, and is normal for breathing when she is sleeping.  The doctor noticed a normal heat murmur on Wednesday...my daighter was born at 35 weeks so the doc. said its pretty common.  Then, she had a HEP B shot on Wednesday and Friday morning we had started to slowly change her formula to a new brand of formula, which we have done with all the kids.  So we stopped the formula change thinking that maybe it was giving her a belly ache which was causing her to get stressed.  If she is still breathing funny tomorrow (monday), Im going to call and get her in to get checked!  Did your son have symptoms of Pneumonia?

Quoting rlemde:

Check to see if her chest is heaving (skin being pulled in when she inhales)--that's a sign that it might be a more serious problem to to go down to the hospital/call her doc to make sure. (My son got pneumonia when he was 4 months old, not 5 weeks obviously, but he had troublesome, rapid breathing and a heaving chest. It was scary, but he's ok. He's 6 now so it's been a while).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)