Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about formula/breastfeeding after 12 months

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM
  • 15 Replies

I thought that once a child hit 1 year of age that formula or breastmilk has no nutritional value anymore, and they should be weaned immediately.. but ive heard of moms doing this until 15, or even 18 months...

have i heard wrong?

pregnancy calendar

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RiyahsMommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Who told you this? If you are on formula they have something like the next step for 12+ months. And WHO recommend breastfeeding to at least 2.

avegajenkins
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Apparently after watching 20/20 you can BF for as long as you want even 6 years olds LOL

but Yes normally you stop formula after 12months, and get them on regular milk , Now people who BF tend to BF a lil longer than that, but you do what you think is best while consulting your ped.

expecting girllistening to tunesbaby boypuppy

Lexi & Q         Jada (11yrs)   Jaylen (1yrs.)    Diggy (2mos) PUG

kellerz06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:15 PM

i read it in various parenting books and magazines.. plus, i think wic cuts providing formula off at 1 year of age.. so when my son turned one (hes three now), i got him weaned off the bottle... doctor told me that was good, that he no longer needed the formula..

Quoting RiyahsMommy08:

Who told you this? If you are on formula they have something like the next step for 12+ months. And WHO recommend breastfeeding to at least 2.

pregnancy calendar

kellerz06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM

i guess BF is different then formula fed, but 6 years? LoL, seems a little much to me!

Quoting avegajenkins:

Apparently after watching 20/20 you can BF for as long as you want even 6 years olds LOL

but Yes normally you stop formula after 12months, and get them on regular milk , Now people who BF tend to BF a lil longer than that, but you do what you think is best while consulting your ped.

pregnancy calendar

Amber115
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Formula -- It's not that is has no nutritional value, it's that there needs change they older they get. There is toddler "formula", but milk and regular food is just as good.

Breastmilk -- This always has nutritional value. The older the baby gets, the more the milk changes. In the states it is unlikely for a mom to breastfeed after a year or two, but in other countries they continue to breastfeed until 4,5, and 6 years old.

imprecious
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM
they have formula for 9-24 months and my sister still breastfeeds now her son turned 1 aug 2nd she only does it like once during the day and couple times at night but it still has nutritional value they just need more than just formula or breastmilk as they get older i saw a news thing where the boy was 10!! and his mom still did i personally think that is sick and truamatizing to the boy but to each their own
RiyahsMommy08
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:19 PM

I don't know what magazines you are reading, but check this site out:

http://www.enfamil.com/

Quoting kellerz06:

i read it in various parenting books and magazines.. plus, i think wic cuts providing formula off at 1 year of age.. so when my son turned one (hes three now), i got him weaned off the bottle... doctor told me that was good, that he no longer needed the formula..

Quoting RiyahsMommy08:

AnnabellesMama
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I'm pretty sure that wic does cut off formula after a year ( I breastfeed so I wouldn't really know for sure), but they are very supportive of breastfeeding past a year.

Quoting kellerz06:

Quoting RiyahsMommy08:

frndlyfn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM

They both have nutritional value but i think that after a year old you want to concentrate on actual foods rather than liquids for the child to be healthier and gain weight. I use nursing as a supplement instead as the main food source like you would an infant under 1 yr of age. It is quite handy when she is sick though, very rarely throws up breast milk versus other liquids and foods.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

avegajenkins
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Yes it is too much, It was one of the most ridiculous things Ive seen 

Quoting kellerz06:

i guess BF is different then formula fed, but 6 years? LoL, seems a little much to me!

Quoting avegajenkins:

expecting girllistening to tunesbaby boypuppy

Lexi & Q         Jada (11yrs)   Jaylen (1yrs.)    Diggy (2mos) PUG

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)