Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a childhood??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Does a child need a childhood?

Options:

the child should work for something but not everything

a child shouldn;t have to work for anything until he/she graduates high school

Other.. explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

So and i where having a disagreement about a child having a child hood... i had one but he didnt so he thinks taht a child doesnt have to have one that a child needs to work for everything that he/she wants in life and i completely dis agree so my question is what do you think about it?

Ready?? I am 19 years old, non married, still with my daughters father, semi co-sleeping, semi CIO, on time vaccinating, spanking, breast/bottle feeding, non self weaned, solid food giving, open minded, high school grad. WOTH  mommy to Mariah and i wouldn't change a second of it for the world.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Zulemaann
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Just like an adult, there is time to play and time to work.. but as an adult there is more work time than play time, i think as a kid its the opposite. I beleive that you do need to teach your child when to clean up after themselves, to keep their room clean, and if they can do this well, then they can play... i think you have to have both, other wise they will grow up and be clueless on what to do, which is what happened to me... first time i lived on my own, is when i realized i had to clean up after myself and it took me 10 years before i actually started cleaning up after myself lol.. so now i have my duaghters clean their rooms, one is 5 and the other is 2 now ofcourse i do help them, but its teaching them to be proud of thier surroundings and to not be messy.

in loveteen boyteen girltoddler girlbaby boy

Dad & Mom       Dylan   Trinity  Lacey   Logan

thayes1988
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I like my house clean. My 1 yr old DD will help me pick up toys that she plays with (by bringing them to me) and she will take her dirty clothes to the closet and put them in the basket, she knows that after she eats to go to the sink to wash her hands and face. Children need to know how to work and I believe that chores are good for them. They can't grow up just handed everything. If they are what happens when they get out on their own? They sill call mommy and daddy for money and support for things they need while the money they have is going to stuff to have fun. They should have time to play but when they turn 16 I highly believe in them paying for insurance, gas, and oil changes. I had to and it tought me early that there were things that HAD to be taken care of.

Mom2Bria
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I grew up in a very strict household....as much as I hated it when I was a kid, I can now see why!!(although I will not treat my children like I was treated) I feel that children need to be given responsibilities,(I hate the word chore) So yes, if they complete their responsibilities they will get a privilege! It teaches the cause and effect....It will also make them respect the things they have because they have earned it and it wasn't just given to them!! That way when they grow up and are ready to be on thier own, they will know how to handle a job and money!

rlemde
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I think it's good to pick your battles, and what you want your child to work for based on your values- BUT I think having a childhood and what a childhood SHOULD be depends on the parents. Mine differs from my husband's, and we're still working on compromising with our kids. 

ramblermama
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I hardly think having to do some work around the house or getting a job at 16 to have your own money takes anything away from a childhood. I had a GREAT childhood but I worked for alot of the things I wanted - even being an only child.

My parents didnt tell me to get a job or even suggest it I WANTED one because I wanted my own money, I think not teaching your children responsibility early on creats mooches and no one likes a mooch.

I'm a prochoice, married, disposable diapering, private bfing, circumcising, vaxing, not cosleeping, spanking, body modifying, WOTH college educated mommy who is not below you for my choices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)