Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my boys have a bit of acid reflux- what did you baby do if they had/have it?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM
  • 17 Replies

They both spit up A LOT.  They'll spit a ton of formula and a bit after they eat they'll spit clear. My pedi said that is acid. He didn't recommend we do anything about it, but it just seems like a lot to me and I'm pretty sure they have acid reflux. He did mention cereal in the bottle, but we didn't go into it because he didn't think it was anything to be worried about.

I'm wondering how much or what kind of spitting your baby did if they had reflux. I'm just trying to figure out if I should call my pedi about it and talk to him again.

Thanks.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3_cookies
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Hi, both of my girls have acid reflux. The oldest (2 in feb.) has to be on prevacid to control it. My baby (6mo.) gets ALOT of cereal in her bottle, but still spits a ton. If you do cereal in the bottle it may help keep the food down. The main worry is if they are not gaining, are not "happy" spitters, ect. My girls will cry for the longest time because their bellies hurt, they barley eat anything, and it is terrible to see them suffer that way. If your doc. isnt too worried about it then you probally shouldnt either. Try the cereal to cut down on spittin up.

MrsReynolds
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:11 AM

My twin 4 month old girls spit up alot. So I always tell the doctor when we go in. Then i talked to my cousin and she told me to ask about zantec. After that her baby never spit up. So I asked and got it, but it does not seem to help mine. Maybe ask for that and try it. I have heard good things about that.

momtorussell
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:27 AM

My son had severe reflux.  He had other symptoms as well, such as stuffy nose, almost a wheezing when breathing, and crying when eating.  We tried zantac, but it only worked for about 2 weeks (I read this happens sometimes) and then we went on Precacid until he was 6 months, which helped.  It didn't fix everything and he still had bad days, but it took the edge off.  I don't see any problem calling your peditrician and asking.  I have always heard that a change in formula can work wonders.  As for the cereal in the bottle, our ped. is against that.  It is another thing the stomach needs to process and being young can make it worse because their digestive systems are too premature for that.  When we started solids, his reflux go a bit worse.

rhpudgey3
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I know there are some formulas that are spose to help with it I can't rmbr the name as my youngest is 2 yrs old... but also try propping them up a little when they sleep, and it may help. It did with my son he was more comfortable. good luck momma

Yes this is my cat !

abbymom79
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM

We added 1 tsp of cereal for every 3 oz of formula along with the appropriate amount of mix.  I think every kid is different, that was the mixture that worked for Abby, not too heavy that she couldn't get it down but heavy enough that it stayed down.  My pedi said just to be careful about substituting it for the formula because that is what has all the nutrients.

rskittle18
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:18 AM

My son went on Zantac for awhile, we switched him to Enfamil Prosorbee but nothing really worked. We did some formula in the bottle as well but he was just a puker. It seemed to bother me more then him really. He's outgrown it now at 1. He got alot better at about 8 months also. I was call your ped and ask what there is to do. Good luck.

marywilliams
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Caroline has severe reflux and she rarely spit up.  We had no idea - she would just cry and cry and nothing would make her feel better.  She had other symptoms as well but no spitting up.  The doctor said that she didn't spit up because she was swallowing it instead.  We tried the cereal in the bottle and that didn't work.  She is now on Zantac and Reglan.  Zantac to reduce the amount of acid and Reglan to help empty the stomach.  It seems to be working - it's taken a few weeks to fully work and we still have bad days.  The doc said she should outgrow it (we hope!) and usually once they start the baby cereal it gets better since that is heavier.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

They told us to have her sit up (kind of) for about 20 minutes after eating and incline her mattress a bit.  Also, burp her more often during a feeding.  We also use the gas drops which helps when she swallows a bunch of air with the reflux.

fuzzybareteddy
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:39 AM

My now 3 month old son has it and we have him on  Zantac twice a day. We asked about rice cereal but were told that while some people choose to do it, that he would really rather us not because it messes with their digestive system (since it doesn't work fully yet) and can lead to more problems down the road. So for now we just give him Zantac and feed him smaller bottles just more of them and we also keep him upright (or close to it like in a swing or the carseat) for atleast 30 min after he eats and he hardly spits up anymore.

momof3at23
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

My youngest had it very very badly, she had reflux and GERD, and a bleeding ulcer when she was 4 months old.  The zantac along with a few other meds worked good for her.  There is some formula called Enfamil AR with LIPIL.  It has added rice starch to help thicken in their stomachs and stay down. 

kimwilson16
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM

My  6 month old(on 31st) was finally diagnosed with acid reflux after throwining up constantly since he was three months old. They did an ultrasound and an x-ray. He takes zantac twice a day. It does help him a little but he still throws up every day. His peditrician says there is nothing else that can be done due to his age. This is no suprise since I Have GERD really bad and so dones my mother. Hang in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)