Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else go through this with their baby?**updated**

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son simply will not sleep. He fights me so bad. He'll be sleeping like a log, I put him in his crib and he wakes up. I've tried letting him cry, but I hate hearing him so upset. He'll go to sleep at 8pm [his bed time] Then 8:30pm he wakes up. It won't go back to sleep until about midnight. Sometimes from there he'll wake up at 3am. I don't know what happened. He was sleeping through the night, everything was wonderful, then all the sudden a few weeks ago he's been like this. It's getting so stressful! I don't know what to do!

Anyone have any advice or tips on how to make this better? :[

So I think his problem is me rocking him to sleep. I rock him to sleep, and I let him sleep on me a little bit before I put him down to bed. I think maybe I'm like a pillow for him. Think about trying to sleep without your pillow, it would be difficult. So I should break this habit now. I know he's still a little baby, but I can't keep rocking him to sleep and let him rely on that all the time. I think tonight for dinner we are going to have a veggy baby food with a bowl of mixed grain cereal. I'll cut out the fruit at night, just the cereal and veggy, and a milk bottle. Then I'll bathe him, put him in pjs, and put him right down to bed at 8pm, his normal sleep time. I'll update this later tonight with hopefully good news! Thank you all for your advice and suggestions! WISH US LUCK!! =]

preview image

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildearthchild
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM

My dd is the same way. She sleeps with my dh and I every night from midnight until he gets up at 6am. It's a restless constant nursing kind of sleep but it's sleep.

princesspalace
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Well if he was sleeping fine and just now all of a sudden been waking up it could be teething.  Has he been drooling alot?  I'd check his gums and see if there is any swelling, maybe give him some infant Tylenol drops or baby Orajel.  My daughter went through a few nights where her sleep was totally off while her teeth were breaking through.  Also you should try to put him in his crib while he's still awake but drowsy and let him fall asleep on his own.  That way he learns his bed is a safe, comfortable place to be.  Whereas if he falls asleep in your arms and then you lay him in bed he's more likely to wake up once you're 'not there'.  And it can be scary and disorienting to wake up someplace where you didn't fall asleep.  Good luck and just remember it won't last forever.  :)

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Same here.  Nursing most of the night while co-sleeping.  You learn to sleep through it.  We did this for 2 or 3 months between like 6 and 9 months of age.  Now he's almost 10 months and finally back to sleeping in his crib all night.  We still have the occasional bump in the road where he sleeps with us, but not often.  Now he won't nap in his crib.  He only naps on our bed.  Oh well, another battle.

Quoting wildearthchild:

My dd is the same way. She sleeps with my dh and I every night from midnight until he gets up at 6am. It's a restless constant nursing kind of sleep but it's sleep.

JessicaB86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM

bump

They just paid me my first $75.00 check :)
rlemde
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I like the teething idea. Other than that, could he maybe be taking a nap too close to bedtime? Sometimes during a growth spurt their sleep habits and schedules change. When Matt was about 6 months old he did the same thing- I was able to wake him up a little earlier (like 10, 20 minutes) from his nap than he would normally wake up or keep him up a little later (not too much either, he was on 8 pm bedtime too. But little catnaps in the evening I tried to avoid). It helped him get back on track and didn't last long.

trishasjunebug
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:44 AM

He's been drooling buckets since 3 months lol. I checked his gums, but no swelling or anything. I did give him a little bit of Tylenol last night with some teething tablets. He went to bed around 11pm last night, and woke up at 2:30am for a feeding. Then slept with me until 8:30am. I think I'll start putting him in his bed when he's sleeping instead of holding him until he sleeps.

Quoting princesspalace:

Well if he was sleeping fine and just now all of a sudden been waking up it could be teething.  Has he been drooling alot?  I'd check his gums and see if there is any swelling, maybe give him some infant Tylenol drops or baby Orajel.  My daughter went through a few nights where her sleep was totally off while her teeth were breaking through.  Also you should try to put him in his crib while he's still awake but drowsy and let him fall asleep on his own.  That way he learns his bed is a safe, comfortable place to be.  Whereas if he falls asleep in your arms and then you lay him in bed he's more likely to wake up once you're 'not there'.  And it can be scary and disorienting to wake up someplace where you didn't fall asleep.  Good luck and just remember it won't last forever.  :)

preview image

trishasjunebug
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM

He usually naps around noon. And sometimes around 4pm. He does take long naps though. I should time his naps and only let him sleep for a certain amount of time.

Quoting rlemde:

I like the teething idea. Other than that, could he maybe be taking a nap too close to bedtime? Sometimes during a growth spurt their sleep habits and schedules change. When Matt was about 6 months old he did the same thing- I was able to wake him up a little earlier (like 10, 20 minutes) from his nap than he would normally wake up or keep him up a little later (not too much either, he was on 8 pm bedtime too. But little catnaps in the evening I tried to avoid). It helped him get back on track and didn't last long.

preview image

abbymom79
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM

We are going through the exact same thing and have been for the last 3 weeks.  I have no idea what is going on either.  I talked to my pediatrician about it and he said that teething can start months before you even see swelling, which I had no idea.  We tried a little tylenol last night and she slept for 5 hours which is a miracle lately.  Hope fully it will get better.

jenpet
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Don't know if this is true for many babes, but my son refused to sleep in his crib. Didn't matter if I put him in there when he was drowsy, just rocked, had just dozed off or sound asleep for more than ten minutes, the moment I set him in his crib, he was screaming.

We gave up on making him sleep in the crib at nine months, and moved him to a mattress on the floor. His sleep imroved quite a bit (though it's still not perfect at 13 months, and there are still nights I want to tear my hair out).

Recently, we visited his Great-Grandma, and she has a pack and play, and the moment he was set into the pack and play he was screaming. It was interesting to see the carry over.

kgalvano
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM

my 11 month old does the same thing. i just got the patience to put her back to sleep while i was watching tv or listening to music so that she new that i was calm to. she still wakes up in the middle of the night but now it is for me just to hold her along with some rocking and then back to sleep. r u the only one that puts him to sleep? if so and u get fustrated then ask ur husband to help out. mine trys and it is a losing battle because she wont sleep for him but by the time that i take her back i am calm so she goes to sleep alot easier. talk to ur doctor about it. i could be a number of things. mine has not gotten teeth so it could possibly be that. when does he take a nap? when i get home from school at 11:30 i put the kids down for naps. they normally sleep about two to three hrs and then up until they go to sleep at 8. what kind of a routine does he have? has there been anything upsetting in his life lately, like anything out of the ordinary happen. my mother n law and i had a arguement and it affected my youngest bad cause she would not sleep unless it was with me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)