Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM
  • 2 Replies

Okay, so I made the mistake of letting my DD sleep on me for naps when she wouldn't sleep in her crib. I used to be able to put her down in her bouncer once she was asleep, so that was okay. Now I can't even do that. She wakes up as soon as I put her down so I'm forced to hold her for her whole nap, which makes it nearly impossible to get anything done. So today I decided I was going to try and get her to nap in her crib again. For this morning's nap, I rocked with her until she was drowsy, but awake. Then I put her in her crib and turned on the mobile and left and she was quiet for about 5 minutes. Then she started crying, but it wasn't too bad. After about 15 minutes or so I went back in there and picked her up to soothe her and then put her back down. After that it was worse. So I'm thinking I shouldn't have picked her up. I ended up holding her to sleep that time. Now we're on to nap #2 and I did the same thing to start and she is already crying again. Now I don't know what to do because I don't want her to continue to think that if she cries I'll come get her to sleep on me, but I don't know how long I should let her cry because I do want her to sleep. Any suggestions??? I'm at a loss! Thanks!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SamanthaAgain
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Three months is too young to let her cry.  (Your profile says she is 3 months, so I'm assuming that is accurate)  You DO want her to know that you will come when she cries, that way as she gets older she will be more comfortable being away from you.  If she learns that you won't come when she cries, she will stick to you like glue 24/7.

My DS is 7 months old now, and just starting to nap really well most of the time.  I just have to make his room warm and dark, and snuggle him up with a warm blanket.  I know that 7 months is a little young for blankets, but he is really good at moving the blanket around so I'm comfortable with it.  When he was your DD's age, I took a nap with him in the morning.  It forced me to get some extra rest, and it gave him a good quality nap.  Housework can wait.  Nothing is more important than giving your baby what she needs.

Sam2008
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I had the same problem with my daughter when she was 14 months old. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Finally, I just decided to let her cry it out. I made sure that she had a full belly and a dry diaper, then I put her in her crib with her favorite blanket and her pacifier. I read her a story, told her I loved her and left the room. The first day she cried and yelled for 45 minutes before giving up and going to sleep. The second day she cried for 5 minutes. The third day she cried for 4 minutes and ever since she doesn't cry at all. Now I change her diaper & tell her it's nap time and then she runs to the refrigerator. I give her some milk and when she's done with it she hands it to me and runs to her room. I pick her up, give her a hug and a kiss, put her in her crib, tuck her in, tell her I love her and she goes to sleep. When she wakes up I get her out of her crib and I tell her how proud I am of her for being such a big girl and sleeping in her big girl crib all by herself. She loves taking naps in her crib now. In the beginning it was hard to let her cry it out. I wanted to go to her and pick her up and soothe her. I knew that she was safe and that she didn't really need anything though so I forced myself to let her cry it out and go to sleep by herself.  Every baby is different though. You didn't mention how old your baby is. I probably wouldn't let a really young baby cry it out. Good luck and I hope you find something that works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)