Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about preemies

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son was born 4 weeks early. Does that mean he is going to be 4 weeks late? like start recognizing his parents 4 weeks late, holding his neck 4 weeks late? etc?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aecooper
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

My DD was born 4 weeks early also after I was induced 4 weeks early (long story.)  She actually held her head up early and has been ahead in some of the milestones.  It really just depends on your child, I know my DD is at 6 months in some things, but for the most part she is right where a 7 month old should be. 

azn_ladie82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

No not at all. There is no set time or age as to when a child SHOULD learn how to do something. It's just a basic "guideline" when other kids do it at that age. I have 2 preemies who were born at 28 and 29 weeks..they will be a bit behind. With your little one being only 4 weeks early, you don't have anything to worry about.

Are you a proud Preemie mom to a NICUGRADUATE? Click on my blinkie to talk to other Preemie moms.

amysmommy62607
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 6:55 AM

My dd was 6 weeks early, and did most things on the "late" end of the "normal" guidelines, but still fell within the range...There's no set age, when things will definitely happen - theres actually a pretty big range for most things that is considered average.  At her 18 mo c/u, she was actually "caught up" other than weight...even "ahead of normal" verbally.  It just takes time - what I was originally told by my mom (I was early too) was that most babies catch up by two or even 18 months...No worries!

Hallmomma
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 4:52 PM

my daughter was 4.5 weeks early and she seems to be doing fine...she doesnt hold her head up as well as my other kids did...but she was also 7lb 3oz at birth!

perfectmom20
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM

no she should be fine. Usually it's when thier preemies 6+ wks that the kids have a problem. Some preemies do everything on time though, and are pretty much like full term babies. My oldest was 9 wks early and he's fine except for a speech delay,but I also had to adjust his age when he was an infant.

..Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
mamaof3under2
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM

It depends on the child. For example, with my 34 weeker twins, one walked at 12 months and the other at 14 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)