Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thinking about stopping breastfeeding.... HOW?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladies!

Just wanted a piece of advice on how to stop breastfeeding, my son is 9 months old and I work full-time and have been since he was 6 weeks old, I've been pumping at work this whole time and breastfeeding at home, now I noticed my "milk supply" went down considerably, I don't pump nearly as much as I used to, so I am having really hard time getting enough milk for my son to take to daycare the next day... Couple of concerns: Nicholas loves his "boobie-time" so do I, it's incredible bond for both of us, and he can't fall asleep otherwise. Second, how do you deal with pain from having full breasts, and not letting your baby nurse?

I really need some help on this one... To all of you who had to do this, please....

thanks a bunch

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuMagoo2
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:37 AM
I started substituting a formula bottle one at a time. I took a few days in between. I left the first one in the morning and the last one at night til the last ones. I guess I was fortunate that I never had breast pain from fullness. Maybe I didn't make enough milk but my ds gained weight and didn't seem to act like he was hungry all the time
abbymom79
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:37 AM

I only breastfed for 6 weeks because Abby would not latch on so I may not be much help.  My friend who was an OB nurse recommended an ace bandage( one of the really wide ones, like 6 inches i think) and we wrapped it around really tight.  I also put nursing pads inside it.   It was awful for about 2-3 days then I could quit wearing it.  I couldn't express any milk other than what was coming out from the pressure of the bandage or else the process would start all over.  It was not fun.  I thought something was wrong because they were like rocks but it went away after a couple of days and everything was fine.  Good luck!!!!  You have my sympathies.  I will try breadfeeding again but am not looking forward to the quitting.

MumsTheWord571
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM

If you slowly start using formula and cut out one pumping sesion a week you can lower your demand, therefore your supply and you can still have enough for nursing at night instead of cutting it completely out. just cut one a week.

Mommy milk is best, but formula is okay too. Do what you've got to!

momof3at23
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I would use formula for daycare and keep nursing at home.  If you want to keep nursing him and keep that bond going, then don't stop nursing him, just stop pumping while you are away.  Your body will adjust to the change in demand.  I stopped nursing my daughter when she was 9 months old.  I had such a low supply that I was never engorged, my supply just went away. 

HJMT555
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I went through the same delema being at work and pumping although once the boys got the bottle they didn't want me our pedi said boys can be lazy eaters and the bottle is easier they don't have to suck as hard. Since your supply is way down i would just stop pumping if you still want to nurse your body will probablly adjust to that one or two times a day thing. And yes they will switch to formula ok. I dreaded it i felt like i failed somehow and that makes it worse. Your doing the best ya can and it sounds like its wearing you out it can be a drain and don't feel bad about it in anyway, you and your son can find another way to have that special time to bond:)

momtorussell
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Cut your pumping time down each day a little at a time until you are down to almost nothing.  If you feel full, you can pump for five minutes to take the edge off.  Eventually, it will take care of itself.

RCJCCC
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I just used this method as well only I did one less pumping time a week and I found the pain wasn't to bad as long as she didn't cry making me leek out. And its that little bit longer till your done it kinda eased us both into things.

Quoting momtorussell:

Cut your pumping time down each day a little at a time until you are down to almost nothing.  If you feel full, you can pump for five minutes to take the edge off.  Eventually, it will take care of itself.

JessicaB86
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM

bump

They just paid me my first $75.00 check :)
shandrarose
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM

bump

Nikkole95
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I don't know about stopping breastfeeding...my son turned 1 yesterday is still nurses, but as far as the pain of fullness goes, I do know about that since at first I produced waaaay too much milk.  You can take a hot shower and just let the milk flow.  you can also kind of 'milk' yourself, (in the shower)it's not the same as pumping because it will not stimulate your milk flow (causing you to produce more), it will just relieve some of the fulness.  Diong this saved me when my son was first born-hope it helps.

breastfeedingbaby 1stholidayin loveNikkole95

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)