Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC? kinda long but I need advice (PIOG)update in response

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

OK this is not to start a debate by any means so please dont....I have one baby already she is almost 11 months old and we are trying for our second one.  Just the last couple of days I am seriously considering a VBAC but I want to know personal experiences.  and let me just say out front DONT YOU DARE BASH ME FOR HAVING A C SECTION THE FIRST TIME I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE! lol that being said I am terrified of a VBAC.  The first time I was in labor I was induced because my daughter was sunny side up so my doctor wanted to induce me to see if she would switch during active labor. Well she didnt so we tried to deliver her sunny side up. I was in labor for 25 hours and pushing for 3 before they decided to do a c section because Lily was becomming distressed. It turns out the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck so it was a very good thing that they didnt have me continue to push. Anyway I am thinking I want to try for a VBAC but that experience was so scary im not sure I can do it again. Im also terrified of uterine rupture  and going through all that and having a c section anyway. So please give me some insight....anyone that has done it? Can i even do it this soon? Thanks ladies!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momnstepmom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I can completely understand your feelings. My daughter was born through Emergency C-section and when my son came along I wanted to try for a natural delivery. I would have made it too if he had not started stressing out.  He was born by c-section as well and had trouble during the first few minutes afterward. I don't want to scare you or anything but sometimes I think that if I had just schedualed a second C-section then I wouldn't have had so much scare at my son's birth.

benandwes
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I wish I could help.  My first was an emergency c-section after being induced.  My son presented sideways and couldn't turn and wouldn't come out.  I wanted to try a vbac but my doctor thought that there was an issue with my birth canal that caused him to come down sideways and said the odds were good I would end up with another c-section.  I didn't want to try to do natural and end up with a c-sec since my first was so disappointing to me (not my son, just that I had to have a c-sec, lol), so I did a scheduled c-section.  I don't regret it.  As long as my baby comes out healthy, the doctor could deliver him through my rear end and I'd be fine with it.  I'd still like to try natural childbirth, if you can, go for it, but I'd say  just be prepared.  Good luck!

JennyJuice
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM

bump.....anyone experience it?

Isaiahsmom92707
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Chances are, your next baby won't end up being posterior. The drugs they use to induce you often cause babies to go into distress because they cause longer and stronger contractions so the baby can't take as long of a labor as they normally would. The scenario with a lot of c-sections is pitocin given,  epidural given because pitocin makes labor unnatturally strong too quickly, labor slows because of epidural, pitocin cranked up, baby goes into distress. Throw in there that your baby was posterior and you weren't with someone that knew ways to help the baby turn so of course you had a c-section! I personally think that a VBAC is very possible for you. The chances of uterine rupture by a woman who's had one c-sec (with the bikini cut scar)  who's labor is not induced or augmented is only and .4%, which is very low. Now if they give you  pitocin it doubles to .8%...still pretty low. However cervical ripening agents(cervadil) make the chances of uterine rupture go up 25%. Cytotec is another cervical ripening agent but studies haven't been done on it, but from what I hear it's just as bad if not worse. Personally I'm not risking it next time and I plan on laboring at home as long as possible (even with a midwife) because hospitals have a way of trying to push things on you. I also  plan on hiring a doula- something I personally feel is awesome for every laboring woman, but necessary for VBAC mommys. They tend to induce a lot of women now a days and they also give almost every woman that goes into the hospital pitocin, even if her labor is progressing (mostly because they want you IN and OUT of there) I personally think that all of these interventions they use are the reason for the increase in c-sections. As the use of these drugs has increased - so have c-sections.

Ok so I'm chatty...This is a big subject with me now,..I've been researching it for the past 16 months. I'm due in August and am planning a VBAC. There's a GREAT book out there called "The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth" It's by Henci Goer.  It's written in sections so you can read the ones most interesting to you first if you want. There's a great section on VBACs with a lot of information that's helped me a lot. I'm a member of "VBAC moms", it's a group here on cafemom. We are drama free and always looking to help answer questions and give support. Also you should go to www.ICAN-online.org

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
I'm a SAHM to 1 born 9/27/07 with another one the way due 8/11/09!, wife to Christopher, VBAC advocate, PRO natural birth, baby wearing, cloth diapering, pro breastfeeding Mama!
ballewal
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM

First question to you is... which way did they cut? If it was a horizontal incision, then you are much more likely to be able to have a VBAC than a vertical incision. I don't remember the technical names for the incisions....

You need to remember that you are in control of your pregnancy and childbirth. Talk to your OB about the option of a VBAC. If it comes to another cesarean, then at least you'll have a beautiful and wonderful baby.

JennyJuice
by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Yeah I actually threw myself into researching......i found out my risk of uterine rupture as far as I know right now is very small.  According to most sources you should have at least 18 months intbetween deliveries so I am fine there. It is really going to depend on how the next pregnancy goes actually.  I have a call put into my old OB to find out what my incision on the inside is because that will play a major roll in it to. I also placed a call to the people I will be using when I get pregnant again to see if they support VBACS. If they dont I will then look into my other options. I did decide that no matter what I will not be given pitocin to speed up labor....I am going to try and labor at home as long as possible.....I would love to labor in a birthing center but I dont think my insurance covers it.  also with the next baby I am not going to be bullied into a c section....I will have one if it is absolutely neccessary for my babies or my life or if I just cant push anymore...which is what happened the first time. I physically couldnt push anymore...another reason why I had a c section. I also made the decision that I am going to put off the epi as long as possible or maybe not have one....I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I am a lot more confident in myself now then I was though.  I have researched a lot and feel this is my best option. Even if I cant have a VBAC I will be happy knowing I at least tried. Hopefully I get pregnant sooon!!!!! eeeek!

kate_jocelyn
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM

I havent had a VBAC, but i've looked into it because I am going to do everything in my power to not have another C-section! Mine was also an emergency C-section. My best advice for you would be to check out the VBAC group here on cafemom. There's a lot of good and encouraging information!! It's actually a fact that it's more risky to HAVE a C-section than it is to have a VBAC. How's that for ya? Lol. Also, the risk of uterine rupture is only like 3%, I think. I dont remember the exact number, but I know it's under 10%.

Good luck with your research!

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

kate_jocelyn
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Oh AND if you'd like to at all costs avoid another C-section i would advise you to go to a birthing center rather than a hospital.. if birthing center's do VBACs, I havent looked into that.

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)