Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

night terrors? dont know what to do

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

my son just turned 1 feb 7th he has been haveing night terrors like he screms in the middle of the night but he is still a sleep. and when he finally does wake up and stops crying he wont go back to sleep un less i put him in bed wit me and my fiance.. i have asked the doctor about it and all she said is that night terros dont start untill they are at least 2. it seems like shes not listening to me i know what they are because my brother had them untill he was 10. my son does this at least 3 nights a week. is there any thing i can do to help controll it or at least make it an easyer process of getting him to callm down and back to sleep peacefully.

thank   you in advance for any advice

by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennyJuice
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Find out what the night terrors are about and go from there.  Maybe talked to a child therapist about it. I am 22 and still suffer from horrible night terrors about spiders......yes I am that afraid of spiders lol. Night terrors are extremely scary because you dont know they are a dream....best thing I can say is be sensitive to them.....and please please please dont get aggravated with him because it isnt his fault.  My husband gets aggravated with me alot because I wake up screaming and thinking there are spiders here and there or what not and I really cant control it.  Are his night terrors of a fear he has?

SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM

If you can avoid waking him up, make sure he stays asleep.  I have adult night terrors, which are only different in the fact that there is generally an identifiable reason for adults to have them.  Babies and kids generally don't have a reason you can pinpoint besides sometimes family history.  When I have one, DH just says over and over, "It's me, I'm here.  It's all gone now.  See?  I made it go away.  Everything is fine.  It's me, I'm here."  Sometimes he can convince me that it's true.  If he tells me it's a dream I get worse because I'm physically awake but my mind is still trapped in the dream.

Here's an example of one of my sillier terrors.  Someone snuck in my room and put a coffee can full of ants on the shelf in our headboard.  In the terror, I woke up to find ants crawling all over our bed.  Millions of them everywhere.  DH told me I was dreaming.  But my eyes were open, I could hear him talking, and I SAW the ants.  I FELT them crawling on me.  So I grabbed a lighter and tried to show him that they were really there.  I almost burned down the house in the process and he had no choice but to physically wake me up.  Because he woke me up, I remembered everything.  In this example I just felt silly in the morning.  But if the terror is about being raped, or my kids being hurt, morning is a lot more traumatic.  If he can talk me down without waking me up, I don't remember anything.

So my biggest piece of advice is to do whatever you can to NOT wake him up.

noey31308
by Member on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM

i really dont know what they are about because he cant talk yet he  says words like mom and dad but thats about it. i try to stay calm because  inknow its scary for him cuz i watched my brother go threw it but my fiance gets aggrivated when i cant get him back to sleep in his own bed.

JennyJuice
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

If you can avoid waking him up, make sure he stays asleep.  I have adult night terrors, which are only different in the fact that there is generally an identifiable reason for adults to have them.  Babies and kids generally don't have a reason you can pinpoint besides sometimes family history.  When I have one, DH just says over and over, "It's me, I'm here.  It's all gone now.  See?  I made it go away.  Everything is fine.  It's me, I'm here."  Sometimes he can convince me that it's true.  If he tells me it's a dream I get worse because I'm physically awake but my mind is still trapped in the dream.

Here's an example of one of my sillier terrors.  Someone snuck in my room and put a coffee can full of ants on the shelf in our headboard.  In the terror, I woke up to find ants crawling all over our bed.  Millions of them everywhere.  DH told me I was dreaming.  But my eyes were open, I could hear him talking, and I SAW the ants.  I FELT them crawling on me.  So I grabbed a lighter and tried to show him that they were really there.  I almost burned down the house in the process and he had no choice but to physically wake me up.  Because he woke me up, I remembered everything.  In this example I just felt silly in the morning.  But if the terror is about being raped, or my kids being hurt, morning is a lot more traumatic.  If he can talk me down without waking me up, I don't remember anything.

wow I didnt know kids cant pin point the reason. I have always known mine were about spiders.....its really the only thing I am terrified of. .....any kind of spider totally terrified. .....I always wake myself up but I to see spiders crawling everywhere......or hanging from the ceiling...or on the wall or something....I hate them!!!!!!!! sometimes I remember waking my husband up sometimes I dont.

SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Quoting JennyJuice:

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

wow I didnt know kids cant pin point the reason. I have always known mine were about spiders.....its really the only thing I am terrified of. .....any kind of spider totally terrified. .....I always wake myself up but I to see spiders crawling everywhere......or hanging from the ceiling...or on the wall or something....I hate them!!!!!!!! sometimes I remember waking my husband up sometimes I dont.

Sometimes you can pin point a reason, like in your case of an extreme phobia.  But with adult onset terrors (meaning they start in adulthood) they usually come from a traumatic experience.  I believe I was molested as a child, and I blocked the memories.  When a boyfriend attempted to rape me when I was 18, that's when the terrors started.  I was being raped by the man I believe molested me.  My story is pretty typical for adult onset night terrors.  But kids and babies can get them without that traumatic experience.  Family history, I believe, is the most common cause.

SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Quoting noey31308:

i really dont know what they are about because he cant talk yet he  says words like mom and dad but thats about it. i try to stay calm because  inknow its scary for him cuz i watched my brother go threw it but my fiance gets aggrivated when i cant get him back to sleep in his own bed.

Check out the message boards at www.nightterrors.org  They have a pretty active board for parents of children with night terrors and they can probably help you more than I can.

jenerica
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Here's another link to consider.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html

My dd used to have night terrors (my diagnosis).  She would wake suddenly and scream while still asleep.  Poor baby.  My best friend joked once that she couldn't imagine what kind of nightmare a baby could have unless she dreamed that she lifted my shirt and my boobs were gone.  LOL!!!

noey31308
by Member on Feb. 12, 2009 at 1:35 PM

lol that is what my fiance says but that is what my son does and when i asked the doctor she said it was from teething that his teeth hurt him but i did pretty much everything i can to keep his teeth comfotable so i know that is not it

Hallmomma
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:54 AM

All my kids would do that as babies...scream while sleeping, and not wake up.  For me, I knew they were not night terrors because most kids will wake up randomly and scream and cry while sleeping at night.  When my son got older, he did have a few night terrors when we would go in there and he was screaming and crying and still sleeping.  I was told not to wake him up, just to let him go, while making sure he wasnt getting up or hurting himself. 

When my kids were all under 14 months and screaming in their sleep, it never last more than 5 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes on and off..I didnt go in every time and they would stop and go back to sleep.  How long does your baby cry for?  Have you tried letting him cry for a few minutes to see if he quiets back down.  He may be waking up from the screaming becuase he senses that you are in the room.

noey31308
by Member on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM

most of the time it lasts for about 20 min but lasty night he had one and went of for almost and hour i do let him cry for a few min but when he starts getting up and standing is crib and throughing him self around i go and get him there is no clming him when he has an episode it is really scary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN