Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

crib issues (kinda funny)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

ok.

my daughter was in the hospital for a week with rsv and pnemonia ( bless her heart) and they had her sleeping in a pretty big crib. before the hospital visit she was sleeping in her bassinet which she was really to big for...so when we got home i thought id put her in her crib to see how she does..kinda ween her off her basinet and the closed space.

anyways i dont know how she does it but i will go in there after an hour and she will be completly sideways upsidedown at the bottom of her crib lol.

the only problem is she gets to the crib bumpers and burries her face in them, pretty scary.

im afraid shes going to suffocate one of these times. i always fix her when shes like that which of course wakes her up =/

anyways i was just looking for some tips or ideas on wat to do to help prevent that.

as always u guys are great

i just read this and it sounds like a really stupid question lol. sorry but if you have any input i greatly appreciate it

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Smallfry803
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM

lol My DD has been doing the same thing..I think she thinks she is hiding cause i go in if she is awake and she is at the bottom upsidedown.. turned all around giggleing..she is only 6 months old.. but i have thought the same as you soo good luck I wish I couldhelp you!!

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:12 AM

I wouldn't use crib bumpers, especially if she buries her face in them. They don't recommend that you use regular bumpers anymore. If you need something like bumper for your lil one you can get these mesh bumper-like attachments for your crib; I think they sell them at babies r us, that are safe for your baby. I would attach a picture for you, but my internet won't load up the site right now. I think I've been on CM too long tonight LOL.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

Fre19
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM

We tuck our crib bumbers into the side of the crib.  I went in her room one day yo find her whole head under the bumber, so all you could see was her little baody sticking out.  It scared the hell out of me.

SAHMof2kids
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM

my son buried his head in the bumper from the day he could move up until 18m when we gave him a pillow he also slept on his somach because it was the only way he would sleep i never felt worried because even if i put him on his back he would roll over you could try a crib wedge if small enough my daughter never used one and when she went into her crib at about 2 1/2m she would move all around in her crib be upside down turned around other side of her crib that is just what she does. i have heard and im NOT sure ive only heard that using pacifiers can reduce sids my son used them my daughter will not she sucks her thumb

Sillieguze
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM

We had the bumpers on my son's crib when he was really little, but once he started to move a little, we took them out.  We put the bumpers back in when he could roll and move more on his own because he would get his legs stuck in the rails and he would cry until we went in to move him.  After doing this every night for several times a night, we put the bumpers back in until he was able to stand and he tried to use them to climb out on.  I would say that if you're nervous about it take them out, but once she can move around more on her own, you could probably put them back in.  I felt like once my son had more control over his head and body that if his face were up against the bumper, then he would be able to move it when he needed to. 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
CatRose15
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

My daughter is 16 months and has done that since she could wiggle on her own.  She would cuddle up into the bumper and wrap her blankets around her, sometimes putting the blanket over her head.  When she gets to warm and/or isn't getting enough air she pulls the blanket down.  Once she reached the point where she could move enough to end up on the edge of the bed and pull her blankets where she wanted I stopped worrying as much since she could wiggle and wrap and unwrap herself.  I also tucked in the bumper.  The only problem was that once she started standing she would get tangled in the bumper and fall, but after she figured out how to maneuver that it was all good again. 

I am a: vaccinating; pro-choice; organic food eating; full-time working; single mom

toddler girl

Hallmomma
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 9:34 AM

There are breathable bumpers you can buy online.  Or, just raise the bumpers up father. 

ruthie5232
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 6:32 PM

My son was all over his bed too...and at 33months he is still a crazy sleeper.

I placed a rolled thick blanket or towel all around the edges to have piece of mind of him falling between the bumper..it worked great. Also, depending on her age you may want to get one of  back support cushions to prevent the baby from rolling so much..we used it for the first 3-4 months. Dont worry about your questions either--everyone has them! 

I hope this helps!  

mommyziegler
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 7:09 PM

my daughter did that and i found that the really cheap thin crib bumpers are better because they breath better. good luck!

pburbinemomteam
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 8:36 AM

1) Take the bumpers off the crib...or at least tie them around the outside of the bars.

2) When we were at the hospital with our DD they used to make rolls of blankets and tuck them under her shoulders and arms to keep her from sliding.  They also used to put rolled blankets under her legs(between her bottom and her knees) to keep her from sliding down hill....all this to keep her elevated for her reflux.

3) We also found her "bucket"/carseat to be helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN