Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*NURSING MOMS* VENT ABOUT PEDI & FAMLY! (long)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

I took my 6mo old DD in on last Wed. because she'd been sick for over a week and it had gone from a cold to a cough that was getting worse and she would latch on and cry & latch and cry, over and over. So she had a right ear infection and got med. Also they said she'd lost 8 oz. So the sub doc (not our usual) tells me I should have her on solids by now. I told her I give her whole grain oatmeal 2tbs or more, twice a day. She says we really need her weight to come up so you need to "pump her full of solids this week." "Add solids 2tbs 4x a day!" I told them I disagreed because the more solids the less she nurses and that seemed like an awful lot, especially introducing! But I did add a nursing and I started her on fruit and cereal twice a day an then just cereal in the evening. Well then she gets a virus and starts puking and she has diarhea (from the meds?). So she was sick like this for two days not keeping much down. She finally has a great day this Tuesday, eating well no fussing no coughing. Yesterday I had her 6mo check...and she'd lost 2 more oz! Everything he said she is great on. She has plenty of W and BM diapers and is meeting milestones great. I said so it's gotta be that she's been sick because she nurses 7-8 x 30min each. So I have to take her back in two weeks and if she hasn't gained then he said I'll have to supplement formula (since I get nothing when I pump because I've NEVER had to since I feed on demand). I am praying she gains weight because I really don't think sup[lementing is the answer. So now I'm offerring every two hours and still fruit and cereal 2x / & cereal in the evening. I'm just a little irked that they made me feel like I was doing something wrong or my milk isn't good enough! I mean it didn't just all of a sudden spoil after 6 MONTHS of GREAT nursing/weight gain!!!!! Is it wrong of me to refuse formula and just nurse her anyways? I mean she's not a starving baby, she's the happiest kid I've ever seen. She eats until she's full then gets mad if I keep trying! She is full of energy and sitting up alone and trying to scoot. She has plenty of diaper (I kkep a chart)! GRRRR. It upsets me because even ppl in my fam are on me to start giving her TABLE food, they think I'm trying to keep her a baby. "All of our kids ate with the family by 4 months", they say! I just feel thats ABSURD!!!! I'm really sorry I just need advice and needed to vent! Thanks

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM

if she continues to lose weight you may need to supplement with formula. It is nothing to be ashamed of.  I have had to do it when i had surgery and it required meds that made nursing impossible.  my daughter has always been on the thin side though since it runs on family. You can also put the formula (once in liquid form) in the cereal if you dont want her to learn bottles. I hope she feels better soon.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Mikelas_Mom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM

IMO...I think you're doing the right thing!! It would be different if she was DRASTICALLY losing weight and was fussy....but babies lose weight when they're sick and she's happy! When she's hungry she will let you know! And when breastmilk isn't keeping her full she will also let you know! I have seen some instances where babies didn't have actual food till 8 months or later and they were chunky and healthy! I would listen to your instincts and her REAL pediatrician...not just the fill in.

XOXOnBubbles
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM

IMO losing a couple of ounces when she is sick is not that big of a deal.

My babies have both been formula fed (too many problems with nursing) and they lose weight when they are sick too!  Trust your instincts.  I would try adding more baby food to her diet before giving her a bottle if it were me.  I would also suggest you consider mixing her cereal with either expressed breast milk or a little formula to give it some more nutrients.  Don't stress over what other people say.  Your baby is obviously doing well, so just continue to do what you feel is best.

Proud wife, and mama of 2 boys.

groomfeeding babytoddler boy

mommieloveof3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Her losing weight is probably just because she was sick, all babies lose weight when they get sick. As long as she gains it back when she is better than its not that big of a deal. If you dont want to supplement with formula then dont. You are her mom you know what is best, unless she continues to lose weight even while she is healthy then you may want to think about supplementing. She is too young for table food. Cereal and first foods are all she needs and they have the added nutrients that she needs, more so than table food at this stage. So dont worry your not a horrible mom and as long as she is nursing well then continue doing it. And just see if she gains the weight back when you take her back to the doctor, if she has then all is fine.

vances_mom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:59 PM

i totally agree. as long as she's having a normal amount of wet and dirty diapers, and not fussier than a sick baby normally is, keep doing what your gut tells you. and for sure see your normal pedi for the next appt.

good luck!!!

Quoting Mikelas_Mom:

IMO...I think you're doing the right thing!! It would be different if she was DRASTICALLY losing weight and was fussy....but babies lose weight when they're sick and she's happy! When she's hungry she will let you know! And when breastmilk isn't keeping her full she will also let you know! I have seen some instances where babies didn't have actual food till 8 months or later and they were chunky and healthy! I would listen to your instincts and her REAL pediatrician...not just the fill in.

GabrielsMom24-7
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Breastfeeding is a labor of love and I applaud you for doing it.  Common sense tells me that if she is that sick, she is losing weight from being sick.  When adults get sick, we lose several pounds or more from throwing up and sweating.  Eventually we gain it back once we start feeling better (sometimes more than what we lost!).  I think dr's get so caught up in charts and percentiles that they loose sight of the big picture and too quickly weight problems are pushed off on mom's as though their is a problem with their milk.

It is not uncommon for a 6 month old to be taking in limited solids.  Depending on who you ask, some doctors recommend not even trying solids until 6 months of age.  Some babies just aren't ready yet and their tongues push the food back out.  My little guy shows interest, but is stilling pushing food out, so I just try once a week or so and will only start increasing solids when HE is ready.  For now, he is content drinking around 36 oz of pumped breastmilk a day.

The only thing I would recommend is pumping your milk and bottle feeding your baby for a couple days just to measure her intake to make sure she is getting an appropriate amount.  You can also gauge her intake if you have a high quality baby scale.  The normal range at this point is anywhere from 24-40oz a day, so as long as she's getting 24 oz a day, changing her to formula is not going to help her.  If anything, the antibodies in your milk will help her recover faster from her illness.

Also, while "table" food might be convenient, with all the food allergies out there I am a big fan of taking it slow.  By the way, a 6 month old is a baby!  Those who don't respect them as being a baby are guilty of trying to make them grow up to fast!  Opps, now I am venting, better stop right here.

Good luck!

Momm2Princess
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I didn't breastfeed....but I understand where you are coming from. I tried to BF my son who is now 4 months and it just didn't work out.....He would scream non-stop. I ended up giving him formula and he went almost immediately to 3 oz. The acted like that was horrible....I thought you were supposed to give them what they wanted not a certain figure that they claim the average child should have. I know they know what they are talking about but I also feel I am the parent and I know my child. If I feel that the advice is wrong....I just continue doing what I am doing. If my child is happy and healthy I don't see a problem. At six months my oldest didn't consume that much in solids....They did tell me that I needed to work her up to a normal 3 meals a day....which wasn't hard...I just did cereal in the morning and evening and a fruit or vegetable for lunch. It is your baby and you know her. I think you should go with your gut. YOu know your baby better than anyone else.

Good luck.

lverdone
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Assuming you are BFing and having no trouble with that (and it doesn't sound like it since shes 6 months old), keep BFing - there are tons of calories in breast milk - more than formula and solids.  Losing weight is normal when they are sick.  If you feel more comfortable supplementing, then thats up to you. 
Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they know what is best.  Solids during the first year are not really for nutrition as much as practice eating - they get more than enough nutrients from BM/formula. 

Plus, if she is sick, BM is the best thing for her.

benandwes
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Don't supplement with formula, that will just give you problems with your supply.  Nurse on demand, as often as she wants, ESPECIALLY when she is sick.  She sounds like she is fine, weight loss is normal with sickness.  Trust your instincts, mama, you will be fine.

Ferrari
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I went through the same thing with both of my boys at some point. Its normal to  loose a little weight when your sick. Everyone does especially if your throwing up. I know when my boys did, they seemed to only want to nurse and still lost some weight. They always gained it back just fine. Just give her a little time. She'll get it back.

Don't listen to what everyone else is telling you. You know your little girl. You're doing great! Keep it up mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)