• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ready to potty train?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 18 months old and I tihnk he is ready to be potty trained. He hates when his diaper gets wet and will start grabbing at himself when he wets his diaper. He'll take it off if he can get to it. He has also started kinda letting me know when he has to "potty" and I will take him and put him on the toilet but he won't go in the toilet. He will actually hold it until he is off and has a diaper on. Then get mad cause he has a diaper on and want it taken off. He doesn't like to wear diapers and will fight me when I'm trying to put them on him. I don't know what to do! Should I go ahead and potty train and if so what's the best way to do it with an 18 month old? Or should I just wait and continue to have him fight me over the diaper thing? Please help!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Sounds like he is showing some signs of being ready.  Maybe start by getting some big boy pants, and a potty chair.  Have him sit on it and get comfortable with it, see if he likes it.  Ask him if he wants to go sit on the potty several times a day and see how he reacts to it.  He might pick up on it, you might find that it is just too soon... either way try not to stress about it and good luck!

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

llmgold11
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:29 PM

DD did that until last Saturday, then magically she was like Mommy I go potty--and she went running towards the bathroom. She pottied 4 times in the "Big Girl Potty" that day and since then she's been going.  We had asked her time after time after time if she had to go, but she woke up Saturday and it was like somebody flipped a switch.   Give him time...it's great that he's showing signs of not liking a wet diaper, but he just might not completely grasp the concept yet.

Mom2Dano
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Thank you for your replies. I think I will try the big boy pants and see if that works. Also, to the other reply that's so cool that your daughter started using the potty! YAY! LOL. Thank you both again for the replies!

r.i.proby213
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM

yah my son is about2 and he has sied how he has wanted to go to the potty i started potty traning as so as he started showing sines that he wanted to go its hard but worth it all hes still not fully potty traned but we geting there i think u should start as sone as he starts to show u sines the fights with the dippers is just not worth it well i hope i hellped good luck

Mom2Dano
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Thanks so much for the support!

Mia055
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM

By all means go for it...he knows whats goin on it seems, the sooner the better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)