Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 month old rejecting bottle

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM
  • 12 Replies

My 8 month old DS is rejecting his bottle yesterday and today.  Yesterday I got maybe 15 oz of formula in him, and today he will only take sips.  I've tried giving him a sippy cup with water/juice and formula, but he won't take that either.  And this morning his poop was hard little pebbles, so that means he's constipated.  I'm about to give him some formula with a dropper just to get some liquids in him!

When I put this question in the answers section, teething was suggested.  He cut his first two teeth over the weekend without a peep, and they are both all the way through now.  If teething was the cause of this, wouldn't it have happened while the teeth were cutting?  Why after?

Also, he is eating solid food like crazy, but is that enough? 

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JennyJuice
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM

ummmm the rejecting the bottle im not to sure....but it could very well be the teething...my daughter was perfect with the bottom two...I had no idea they were coming in but the top 4 I have almost blown my brains out.....but when she is teething all she wants in bottles and snacks and then doesnt eat food food until dinner. but all kids react to teething very very different.  I would say maybe ask the pedi for a reccomendation on how to get him to take some liquids. When lily was really sick and in the ER the pedi told me to give her watered down gatorade, pedialyte and even some sugar water if she really wouldnt take any liquid. Good luck!!!!

SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I called the 24 hour nurse line from my insurance company, but they just focused on the constipation.  Give him watered down prune juice and rub his tummy to help him poop, and call the doctor tomorrow if it's not better.  *sigh*  So it's all mama experience from here on out that's going to help me.

JennyJuice
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Lily wouldnt drink prune juice so I fed her prunes and apples baby food to get things moving and it always worked. Sorry I cant help more! Good luck

suziqplus1
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:56 PM

My DD is not completely refusing it but she won't take it like she used to.  Her bottom teeth have been in since christmas.  She eats baby food like crazy.  I need help on this too!!!

Anyone??

fallentears1986
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I wish I could help but I have no clue as to what is going on. My DD is only almost 5 months old so I havent been through it. I have written posts and u have always helped me and I wish I could help you. How about a BUMP?

bump 

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Well I found a band-aid solution.  I gave him some formula with a medicine dropper and got almost 4 oz in him during a game of peek-a-boo.  So maybe it is his teeth bothering him... I just don't know.  It seems like if it was his teeth we would have seen this before or while they were cutting, not after.

newmom2be08
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM

We are going through this with our 8 month-old son at the moment also.  He eats solid foods like a champ and then when I give him the bottle, he swats at it and pushes it away in anger.  He doesn't have teeth yet, but he is teething.  Lately he has been waking up at night too.  The only thing that I have found that has worked is to give him a toy or he loves playing with paper while I am feeding him the bottle.  It seems to distract him and he does much better with drinking. 

SRLPrincess1067
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM

As much as I hate to recommend it, try Tylenol. If it truly is the teething, then that should help. I am not one for medicine, but mine did the same thing. I dislike the ER because of dehydration more than I dislike drugs. Wait an hour after the Tylenol, and see if baby will eat then.

Good luck!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Charmain......... A Wife, Mother, and Leader

CrystalDawn2506
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 7:08 PM

My DD always rejected bottles as an infant from teething pain she never cut any till 2 days before 12 months but the pain still bothered her .But wouldn't want her bottle at all. She would take sippy cups though so you might try that. I think when the pain bothers them they want different textures rubbing on their gums and a bottle nipple might not be hard enough to gnaw their gums on *shrug*. Also teething can affect them even after they cut them because more than likely more is not far behind the newly cut ones . And it can affect their stools , contipate them or make them have runny stools depends . So try sippy's and see how it goes I mean it can't hurt . Good luck with it though !!

AJsMomma
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Are you feeding solids first?

If so, you need to switch your routine around. A lot of times babies will refuse a bottle (or boob) because Mom is giving them solids first and they are full. ALWAYS offer the bottle or breast FIRST until your baby is a year.

Solids are dessert. He will eat if he is hungry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)