Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone use soy formula? If so, how does it work? Do you like it??

baby

by on Mar. 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Replies (11-18):
aprilhutchins
by on Mar. 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM

But sometimes it's the only choice. My oldest would not tolerate reg. formula and would throw it up so she had to use soy. And so far with my 2 month old it's the only thing that she won't throw up. I have tried regular( and she did good for 2 days and then everything she ate would come back up) and we even tried Alimentum and it was so thin that when she spit it up she would get strangled on it and stop breathing. She has a cleft lip/palate so we have to use something that she doesn't spit up bad with, so far soy is the only one that helps.

So as for the mom asking about soy I have used it with both my girls and they did really good. As for the oldest I did have a hard time getting her to transition to milk when she turned 1. But we got over that hump after a short period. Good luck to you!

Quoting mom2ljh:

We used it for about a day.  It made all of my son's symptoms MUCH worse.  I took him right back off of it and waited to hear from his doctor at the beginning of the week.  He was quickly put on Nutramigen to clear up all of his symptoms.  I'm also not a fan of soy anyhow, as there are no studies on the long term affects of soy as a sole source of protein during infancy.  There are just too many unknowns for me to be comfortable giving it to my child.

angelicangel09
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM

my DD has been on Soy formula since she was 2 weeks old or so. shes now 6 months and growing and happy. She does well on it. Its better on her tummy, no more spitting up like she did on reg.

davidsmomma20
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM

both of my children had to switch from regular to soy...my ds puked really bad and my dd pooped funny...they did great after the switch...however our doctor told us normally a formula switch will constipate them for about a week or two because of the different stuff they are not use to...hope this helps...

family carOur family was completed on 10-31-08

mom2ljh
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I'm glad its working for your child and she's doing well.  I am aware that, sometimes, it is the only option.  I merely stated that there are just too many uknowns for me to be comfortable giving it to my child.  If others are comfortable with the idea, it is their business.  She asked if we liked it though, so I answered.

Quoting aprilhutchins:

But sometimes it's the only choice. My oldest would not tolerate reg. formula and would throw it up so she had to use soy. And so far with my 2 month old it's the only thing that she won't throw up. I have tried regular( and she did good for 2 days and then everything she ate would come back up) and we even tried Alimentum and it was so thin that when she spit it up she would get strangled on it and stop breathing. She has a cleft lip/palate so we have to use something that she doesn't spit up bad with, so far soy is the only one that helps.

Quoting mom2ljh:

We used it for about a day.  It made all of my son's symptoms MUCH worse.  I took him right back off of it and waited to hear from his doctor at the beginning of the week.  He was quickly put on Nutramigen to clear up all of his symptoms.  I'm also not a fan of soy anyhow, as there are no studies on the long term affects of soy as a sole source of protein during infancy.  There are just too many unknowns for me to be comfortable giving it to my child.

Amanda~Cloth Diapering, Non-Spanking, Attached Mommy to my little miracle, Landon Joel, born 6 weeks too soon, 6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, coolest kid on the block!

Then                                           Now

nikkismomma2006
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I have a can of soy that I am not going to use if anyone is interested please pm me

Raising-Angels
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM

We are non-dairy ourselves and were never keen to supplement with milk formula so we tried Soy. But my daughter really didn't react well to it; constipation and cramping. So, I then tried Goats Milk formula, she never had any trouble with that. Have also tried it with our new daughter and she has no trouble either. Works wonders. Cows have four stomachs and Goats only one, so Goats milk is more suitable for humans.

JennCandi
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM

We did soy at first, but Ryan always seemed hungry.  So we switched to milk.  The doctor told us to try soy again when he was around 6 months old.  He threw up everytime we gave it to him, so we switched back to milk again.

Mrs.Rodriguez07
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I USE SOY FORMULA AND TO ME IT IS SO MUCH BETTER ON WITH COMTROLING SPIT UP AND SHES LESS FUSSY AND SHE IS STILL GAINING WEIGHT LIKE CRAZY I PREFER SOY OVER REGULAR MILK BASED

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)