Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deseperate for help w/ breathholding w/ 14 month old

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am looking for someone else that has a child that has breath holding spells. Please contact me if you child does this. I would like to compare episodes and such.

Thanks so much!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamanthaAgain
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Does he do it on purpose?  My sister did that when she was throwing a temper tantrum.  The doctor said that it's not dangerous, if she holds it too long she'll pass out and start breathing again.  She grew out of it, but I don't remember when.

Hallmomma
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM

My son used to hold his breath when he was angry...blow in your childs face when they are holding it.  He will breathe then.

cuteasabutton78
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

He doesn't do it on purpose, he's done it since he was probably 7-8 months old.

It starts when he cries, it's like he gets stuck and can't take a breath in. he turns dark blue/purple andhis eyes roll back, his body goes stone stiff.

Blowing in his face doesn't always work. The doctor says it's normal and all but I still would like to compare w/ other children. MY doctor won't recommend a neoroligist, because they have done it so many times in the past and it always comes back as breathholding phases. 

MomB598
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM

My Grandma says that my mom held her breath and Grandma would throw water into my Mom's face.  I think a squirt gun would work.

Hallmomma
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Oh, so he is crying so hard, he isnt making any noise...but his face looks like he is crying, but he isnt breathing....My daughter does this when she cries sometimes, but usually it doesnt last more than his lips turning blue.  I try and talk to her and tell her to talk and breathe.  Sometimes the blowing helps, but I feel bad doing it sometimes because it makes things harder for her. 

I would go with your gut, if you think there is something else wrong, then go see another doctor.  If your doctor doesnt think he needs to, then go anyways or find a new doctor.

alexmom525
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM
My son has done this since he was an infant and he will be two in May. I have just become accustomed to it and try not to make a big deal out of it because i don't want him to be scared. He only does it when he gets hurt or when he gets a shot. It lasts for less than a minute and his lips turn blue. Then he breaths and it is a normal cry. Don't worry too much about it. Some kids are breath holders and some are just criers. My daughter doesn't do it. It's weird how one child does it and the other does not. If you want to talk send me a message. Nichole
mamacicihas5
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 2:48 AM

Not to scare you but i think you neeed to insist your doc gives you a referal to a neuroligest, my son does the same thing but he is actually having seziures .How often does he do it?

I would also keep a log of how often he does it .Good luck mama,I know how scary it is seeing your baby turning blue. If you have a camera ph that takes videos record him and show it to the doc also be a pain in the butt and take your baby as often as you can to see the doc when he does this it cant hurt to take someone else with you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)