Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when your LO started daycare?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

hey everyone well I'm in the process of looking for a job and so far I haven't had any luck and it stinks. I really have been trying hard. Well anyways I wanted to know how old was your LO when they started daycare? My daughter is one and everyone tells me she will hate it since she is older already. I'm kind of stressed i'm fustrated I can't find a job but now i'm worrying about if my daughter is going to have a hard time starting daycare if I get a job. Any advice?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nmeyer617
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I worked at a daycare for two years before my son was born while I was finishing up grad school. I spent a lot of time in the toddler room (1-2). Yes, it will be difficult the first day and then each day should get better and better. I saw a lot of kids that cried quite a bit after their first drop-off but the great thing about small kids is that they are easily distracted. We would just get out  a special toy or something and they would calm down. After a couple of weeks, they would hardly cry and if they did, it was only until Mom or Dad was out of sight.

Also, it helps if you have a morning routine. If possible, have the same person drop your kid off and do the same things. Kids with routines had much better drop-offs. I don't think it matters that your daughter hasn't been in daycare yet. All kids go through the separation anxiety. Even the babies that have been in daycare since six weeks.

My son is 8 months old and has been going to an in-home daycare since 7 weeks. He hasn't gone through the separation anxiety thing yet, but I know that it is just a matter of time.

Good luck Mama!!

KairisMama
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:50 PM

My DD was one when she started daycare. I took her there early on the first day, and stayed with her while she looked at the toys, and just got used to her surroundings. I stayed for about 30 minutes. She was just fine. There were days she'd cry when I left, but now she is so used to it. She is 2.5 now, and drop off is nothing.

I agree with the PP. Have a ROUTINE. My  DD has a very set morning routine before we get into the car. She knows we are going to Miss Patty's house, and that mommy will be at work.  

Kairi snowgirl

Babyshoe
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I work in DC. It doesn't matter how old/young a child is, they will be upset for awhile. How much/how long depends on the child. My LO just started staying home wiith my mom (she's 8 weeks), while I go back to work and she's having adjustment issues.

Try not to worry now. Focus on your job hunt and stay positive :) Kids are remarkable and learn to adjust (I think better than adults). Feel free to email me when getting ready for daycare, if you have any questions or want advice :) GL!

kgalvano
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:41 PM

My LO was 6/7 months when she started and she loves it. we was having a problem because she would not go to anyone without screaming. the lady took her and carried her around while she showed us the daycare who the teachers would be because i also have a three yr old. we thought that was a big accomplishment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)